Monday, December 05, 2005

  • Main Page
  • Meta-Knitting

    Measure not the work until the day's out and the labor done.
    - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

    Lately I've been all about meta-knitting. And when I say meta, I'm using the classical Greek sense meaning "about" or "with," not the late-at-night in the college dorm sense meaning "Dude, that's so meta. So deep." Good times those, but I digress.

    Meta-knitting - Obviously, I've started blogging. I thought it would be a natural extension of reading other knitting blogs, but my perusal of other blogs has reached a whole new level. Plus, I'm significantly more likely to leave comments now. Also, I've been reading about knitting (I pulled nearly every new - and some old - knitting book off the shelves at B&N and took them to the cafe while I knit on a pair of socks and looked through them). I've been obsessively re-arranging my to-knit list, fondling my stash, and taking out old favorites to photograph them. I've been planning all sorts of new and exciting things to knit, and even make from old knits (inspired by Alterknits - more on that later).

    Clearly, I am procrastinating. Last night I cast on for the heart hat that is to be a Christmas gift, knit half of the first row (and this is garter stitch, people, garter stitch), and abandoned it in favor of this:

    This is the heart-shaped sachet from Interweave Knits' free online patterns (here) knit in a succession of mitered squares. As if that weren't tempting enough? It's knit out of leftover Koigu. Soft, buttery, hand-dyed merino wool that doesn't cost me any more money? A surprise of color on every changing-length row? What's not to love?

    Since we're being meta today, let's ask an existential question:
    Who needs a hat when they have a heart shaped sachet?

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Someone who is not getting a heart shaped sachet? (needs a heart hat). Or not. You caved on garter stitch? It was the lure of the Koigu, I'm sure. I have that exact colorway (of the sachet) except unfortunately I have it in chenille which I can't seem to knit in any recognizable form. Maybe a heart shaped sachet would work.

    12/05/2005 9:51 AM  
    Blogger Sonya said...

    I know what you mean about blogging changing how you read blogs. I could count on one hand the number of comments I left before starting the blog. I'm also much more conscious of the person behind the blog rather than the knitting on the blog. Your's looks great, BTW (blog and knitting).

    12/05/2005 12:06 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Blogging is a daily, less personal conversation between you and the blogger. If you don't hold up your end of the conversation, then you are simply a voyeur. I didn't comment much until I got my own blog. Major difference..

    Love the phrase meta knitting. It catches the zeitgeist exactly. Becomes especially useful when the WIPS have turned to stool, and the wheel won't behave.

    12/06/2005 3:21 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home