Friday, December 02, 2005

  • Main Page
  • Mostly Holes

    It is difficult to see why lace should be so expensive; it is mostly holes.
    -Mary Wilson Little



    Several people have asked for more photos of the "blue lace thingie." I'm happy to oblige, although note that it is cloudy and I had trouble taking a good photo. I don't want to go into too many details, as it is a gift for someone who will see it here first. Knitterly specifics: Dark teal laceweight Merino Oro (I think - lost the label a while ago), less than 1 skein of approx 1200 yds. I used US 6 straight needles. The triangle is knitted from the center top, with each row getting longer and then the border is knitted on sideways to finish it off. Anyone who wants to know more can leave a comment or email me and I'll let you know. It took me about six months of very intermittent knitting, maybe 100 hours in total.

    I finished blocking this about a week ago; now I need a new lace project. (The aforementioned lace scarf is a mini-project and doesn't really count.) I'm considering the rose trellis scarf from the Vogue Knitting on the Go: Scarves book, or Ene's scarf from Scarf Style. Ene's scarf actually seems like a (relatively) quick knit - lots of photos of it completed out there in blogland. Thoughts?

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Whit said...

    So beautiful!!

    12/02/2005 2:12 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    I love it, T. I can picture Bella Wilfer wearing it before she moved in with the Boffins.

    12/02/2005 3:18 PM  
    Blogger Lulu said...

    its gorgeous..

    12/02/2005 4:30 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    This lace project makes me wish (yet again) that I could become Anne of Green Gables for a year or two. (Much as I love Gilbert, I don't think I could stand not having a) the vote b) computers and c) modern medical care for more than a year.)

    On a totally different tangent: you asked me for some advice on your blog but you clearly don't need it. You are light years ahead of us and our blog, which has only just begun to get tech savvy!

    How in God's name do you get so many people to visit your blog? Hm. Perhaps the flitgirl and I need to take up knitting...

    12/04/2005 9:03 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home