Sunday, January 08, 2006

  • Main Page
  • On the Twelfth Day of Christmas

    I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
    -Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

    Today is the Feast of the Epiphany, the Twelfth Day of Christmas, the last day we sing Christmas hymns and have decorations in church. This is it. We're back in ordinary time. Even the Christmas knitting has been done for weeks. So it is with a certain irony that I present my first finished object of 2006:

    A Christmas ornament. (Sorry for the blurry photo - believe it or not, this was the best of the 10 I took.)

    Holly Christmas Ornament
    Pattern: KnitPicks Holiday Cheer Holly Ornament - free pattern
    Yarn: leftovers of Fortissima fingering weight cotton in green and white and some random red sock yarn
    Needles:
    Brittany birch dpns, US 2
    Notes: This is knit in the round stranding the green and white with the red berries duplicate stitched on afterwards. I stuffed it with leftover scraps of yarn (all those really small pieces you cut off after leaving in ends. Everything has a purpose. Pretty fun and quick - each ornament took about 2 hours, and was a beautiful example of what steam blocking can do to stranded colorwork.
    Best Thing About This Project: I liked it so much, I made 2. Not only did I use up all but 3 yards of that green fingering weight cotton, I am on my way towards one of my 2006 knitting resolutions: small circumference stranded knitting.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Marina said...

    No matter how much I do it, I don't think I will ever like stranded knitting on dpns.

    Love the Christmas ornament. Will have to bookmark it for this year's.

    1/08/2006 2:35 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very cute ornament - I'm bookmarking it too! Thanks for putting up the link.

    1/08/2006 6:04 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Cute ornament! I'm using my leftover sock yarn to make the tiny sweaters from Last Minute Knitted Gifts; I hope I can get at least two or three done per month for either the Christmas tree or a wreath at Christmas time. Just popping through on weekly Stashalong check.

    1/08/2006 7:53 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home