Tuesday, January 10, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Committment Issues

    Time on time revolving we descry;
    So moments flit, so moments fly.
    -Ovid, Metamorphoses

    I have committment issues. Ask any of my friends. Ask my mom. Ask my knitting projects.

    Meet all the little projects. Clockwise from left:
    • Black bulky mittens for my sister, per her request. These are actually several inches longer since my trip to the post office yesterday. Like everyone and their mama's aunt's boyfriend's cousin, I needed 2 cent stamps. I did 2x2 ribbing.
    • The Dreaded Argyles. Note that they are still skeins of yarn with some 2x2 ribbing in gray. Like the colors?
    • Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush's amazing new book of old sock patterns. GGH Marathon. The yarn kind of stripes. It's cool. The pattern is - get this - a variant of 2x2 ribbing.
    • Star Hat from Beadlizard in Andean Silk. Lovely yarn to work with. Doesn't show cables well. Still, since nearly the entire project is 2x2 ribbing and the cables are at the top of the head of a man who is 6'3" (or 6'4"?), the main effect is 2x2 ribbing.
    • Trekking XXL socks. I started with 2x2 ribbing and switched to st st, but realized that the socks look amazing in ribbing and not-so-amazing in st st. Oh look - a whole 'nother project of 2x2 ribbing!
    Maybe I'll give a prize to the first person who spots the theme here . . .

    The sidebar grows longer and longer. The progress bars remain stubbornly attached to 5%, 10%, 15%, with nothing moving forward except Christmas ornaments and baby booties. After my end-of-season push to get projects off the needles, I spend all of January (so it seems) doing 2x2 ribbing to start new projects.

    Thank goodness for my Rogue with a 6 row hem and fascinating cables right off the bat. And more on the fun of Winter Folly tomorrow.

    Argyle Update

    Thanks for all the comments and emails. I'll respond personally later today. The general consensus seems to be that the argyle diamonds have to go all the way around the ankle to be considered "traditional" - not only that, they have to meet at the seam and look seamless. Start loving the argyles, because they have many miles to go before they sleep.

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    Um, I'm reaching here.. but the theme might be... 2x2 ribbing? Am I right??

    I'm being lured away from starting Rogue by discovering Eris. Hmm. But... Eris has a 40 page pattern. What the?!

    1/10/2006 7:34 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Man - argyles have a lot of rules - probably not best for me!

    Do you like the Trekking XXL yarn? I plan on using that for my next pair of Jaywalkers.

    Someday... Rogue, I have to get back into "sweater mode" first.

    1/10/2006 7:58 AM  
    Blogger Susan said...

    I think the theme must be - "committed to splendid colors". If they have to be waiting around, at least they're very pleasant to look at.

    1/10/2006 11:19 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    All that 2x2 will change when you begin Am Kamin. And then you might wish for something easier.

    1/10/2006 1:47 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I swear I took that same picture today!

    1/11/2006 6:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I totally have knitters A.D.D. I keep starting things, and not finishing them... Im starting to run out of needles. Lets see, I have a baby blanket, a sock (I only finished one) a hat, oh make that two hats, a pair of baby booties, and two scarves. Some day i will finish them.

    1/11/2006 11:23 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home