Friday, January 20, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Delight and Wisdom

    A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom. -Robert Frost

    January 20, 1961: Robert Frost read at the inaugeration of John F. Kennedy, whom, if we recall from earlier this week, used to steal his father's socks. And now, our weekly Knitalong update. Happy Friday.

    Crossed in Translation
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • The yarn came. Is that progress? Maybe now I'll be inspired?

    Stashalong
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • So far, so good. The Crossed in Translation yarn was ordered just before the deadline on December 31st. I hear rumors that I may have gift yarn coming at some point, but I didn't buy it. The big test will be Saturday: I'm going to The World's Best Yarn Store (Sakonnet Purls - really, I've been to yarn stores in 22 states, I think I'm qualified to judge) with some knitting buddies. I need some needles and buttons, and I want to spend time with these friends. Can I really go to The World's Best Yarn Store without buying yarn? Help. Please.

    Count Your Socks
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • I thought I was counting backwards. I lost a sock from my sock boxes this week, as it developed a hole in the darned areas. I have my limits as to how many times I darn. But I digress. Lynda assured me that we're not just counting our own socks, we're counting all the socks we've ever knit. Pairs, that is. So I'm still sitting with 89 pairs done (I don't count the baby socks), working on pairs 90, 91, 92, and 93. See last week for details, and look here for progress on the argyle front.

  • It's NOT a Gift
  • See all those Christmas ornaments? Totally gifts. Especially for my Aunt Carol, because relatives who read my blog and point out their favorites deserve Christmas ornaments. Actually, Aunt Carol doesn't even need to read my blog to merit these - I think about half of the ornaments on my tree are ones that she and my cousin have made over the years - cloth, pottery, sand dollars, you name it. Creative people in that household.
    As for my current big projects, still here. But coming soon (yeah, I know, I said this week. Next week will be fine.), a wedding gift so unusual it may be featured in a bridal magazine.

    Knit the Classics
  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • January Book: Mrs. Dalloway - DONE! I finished listening to it this week. Great fun. I'm a fast reader, so the 7.75 hours of audio were more than it would taken me to read it, but a) the library copy of the book had been checked out and b) I can knit while listening.
    January Project: Flora. Not yet. But I still have ten days of January, and it looks like a quick knit.

    And another recommendation: Good Poems by Garrison Keillor
    I bought these four audio tapes because they were on sale for just the right amount to qualify me for free shipping (seriously, how much more money do they get out of me because of that?). It's probably the best $4 I've ever spent - he reads an eclectic collection of "good poems." Classics. Contemporaries. All in that voice. I'm going to be listening to these over and over.

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Chris said...

    Oh man, that free shipping for orders over $25 must make them a small fortune... 'cos it gets me every time!

    Hmm, maybe you should stand outside of Sakonnet Purls (and not in that little sale shed, either) and have your friends bring buttons out for your review? It might be hard to resist.

    Take your camera! You can document the Temptation of a Knitter.

    1/20/2006 7:26 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    All I can say is make your list of stuff you want to buy and stick to it(if you feel the need to splurge--look at patterns, books, accessories-that sometimes helps)--maybe you could start making a "wishlist" of all the yarn you'll be buying on April 1? Good luck this weekend--be strong!

    1/20/2006 7:53 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Oh dear, I don't think I need the temptation of a "weekly specials via e-card". At least not till end of March as preparation for the end of the Stashalong ;-)

    1/20/2006 1:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa, You have so few addictions, and you work so hard, indulge yourself. I am excited that you mentioned me and look forward to decorating my tree next year. Love, Aunt Carol

    PS shared your blog with my nurse (knitter) and has picked up her needles again and is doeing baby boodies like crazy.

    1/20/2006 2:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How did you do at Sakonnet? I hear their sale has been extended through the end of January.....

    1/22/2006 7:29 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home