Thursday, January 19, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Kiss On the Hand May Be Quite Continental

    . . .But diamonds are a girl's best friend.
    -Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

    And Susan is my new best friend. She gave me - what else? - diamonds. Of the argyle kind. Authentic patterns straight from the 1940s. Short of doing the d*&$#ned intarsia for me, it's the best kind of gift a girl can get.

    And, now that I have some sense of where I'm headed and how this anomly - this sock knit flat - is ever going to be put together, I'm actually making progress. Check it out:
    The diagonals are going to be purple, and duplicate-stitched on afterwards (apparently an acceptably "traditional" way of doing things). I thought, ever so briefly, about kniting them in, but do you know how many more butterflies that would require?!?! Here's the back, for those of you who like the seemy side of things:

    Not bad for a few episodes of Law & Order, eh? There was something about walking the line, the straight and narrow, etc. that really jived with the straight lines of the argyle pattern. So, here's a question for all you multi-project knitters:

    What determines which project you work on when? Assuming no deadlines are looming over your head, do you knit certain kinds of things while watching certain TV shows or movies, listening to certain types of music? Sitting in the sun? At a coffee shop? Knitting group? I'm thinking more along thematic than practical lines. I know we all like small socks in line at the post office.

    As we've discussed before, we're into voluntary participation around here. We support the suspension of the draft, freedom of religion, and your choice of Pepsi or Coke. So feel free to turn this into a meme and respond in the comments or on your own blog, as you see fit.

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    The socks look great! I want to learn intarsia just for argyle socks. :)
    As far as "what do I knit when" - I knit "plain" socks when I'm reading (books or blogs), or something that has simple ribbing (like 3/4 of my projects right now!). If I'm watching one of my favorite shows I'll knit something that needs just a bit of concentration, and I'll knit lace or something else challenging during mindless TV (soap operas!), or while The Husband has control of the remote!
    No real "themes" for me...

    1/19/2006 9:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, that's so gorgeous...the colour combo is fab! Projects? Projects? Oh gosh, I'm too busy dyeing yarn at the moment...LOL! Does that count?
    ~Roxanne~

    1/19/2006 10:21 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Those socks are gonna be great - I was just wondering the other day if the diagonals in argyle were done that way! - you've answered my question.

    I'm not a multi-project gal, just one "big" project and a pair of socks... although I'm allowing my shawl to lurk in the background as a third, "lifetime" project!

    1/19/2006 11:40 AM  
    Blogger Chris said...

    Woah. All those teeny tiny little butterflies and perfect little diamonds. I'm impressed!

    I tend to knit relatively simple things because I like to wear simple, unornamented things. And also so I can read while I knit. Of course, the more I knit and read, the broader the definition of "simple" becomes. I can count to do simple patterns while I read and can "feel" when things go awry. Gotta be good for my brain...

    1/19/2006 1:14 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Mostly, my choice of project is logistical rather than thematic. For example, I generally don't knit anything that requires looking at a chart while my boys are awake!

    So, do you have to seam those socks up the back? Laura's nightmare! More seams on socks! LOL!

    1/19/2006 3:02 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those socks are wonderful!

    As far as prioritizing the projects, it depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes something mindless is good, sometimes I need something fiddly. Right now, It's all about the mindless projects.

    1/19/2006 4:33 PM  
    Blogger Susan said...

    The socks look great - I'm so impressed! Did you have make many changes to the pattern?

    Projects? I just work on what I'm working on and stop knitting for a few moments if life gets too interesting :-)

    1/19/2006 6:14 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home