Saturday, November 04, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Nothing Good

    It's like watching someone knit and noticing there's no yarn at all.
    -Martin C. Smith

    I must have been in a sleep-deprived haze. It's the only possible explanation for why I decided to re-organize my yarn stash AND simultaneously update my yarn stash spreadsheet last weekend. I mean, I know I had seen Laura do it here. But maybe in my day-night confusion I thought that meant I should, too?

    Seriously, nothing good can come from stash reorganization. Here's a list of the bad things that happened:
    1. I realized how much yarn I had.
    2. The beau stopped by unexpectedly and HE realized how much yarn I had. I think it was when I had to move the DVD player to reach cones of yarn that he really got scared.
    3. I think this now negates a previous conversation wherein he told me that he thought I should buy as much yarn as I wanted.
    4. I don't have - of course - the yarn to knit anything I really feel like starting.
    5. And then I realized I don't have any time to start anything.
    6. My spreadsheet grew from 5 to 6 pages long.
    7. Because even after I finished projects, I had some full skeins of leftover yarn. And that still takes up a whole line.
    8. Some of this yarn I don't know if I'll ever use.
    9. But, of course, if I get rid of it, I'll need it.
    10. All that playing with yarn and spreadsheets kept me from knitting. Especially this.
    The only thing potentially on the plus side? The beau was very terrified impressed by the whole spreadsheet thing. He does have a degree in engineering, after all. And spreadsheets are just so scientific.

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    I totally need to update my spreadsheet, but I'm terrified as well. You're a brave woman! And best of luck to the beau - perhaps a knitted gift would make it all better?

    11/04/2006 8:26 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    Oh boy. Tracking your stash, Theresa? Do you really want to know what the damage is? It probably takes as much time to enter it all into a spreadsheet as it would to destash a little! :-) This guy must be a keeper if he can accept stash, that's all I have to say!

    11/04/2006 8:38 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now why did you have to go and open that can or worms? See what good it did you?
    Not to mention the seed it planted in my own tiny tiny brain. Spreadsheets make me so hot!

    11/04/2006 9:17 AM  
    Blogger Becka said...

    LOL, I reorganized my stash a month or so ago, it's funny when you run across yarn you didn't remember that you had! It's as if I had been yarn shopping!
    OH my, the chuppah is gorgeous, I can't wait to see the FO! What a great friend you are!

    I saw your washcloths on the Lacevember blog and love them!
    I am having a contest on my blog and would love it if joined us!
    Happy Knitting,
    Becka

    11/04/2006 9:56 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    I'd be terrified of the spreadsheet, too. Some things are better left unknown.

    11/04/2006 10:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Four, five and nine are just givens, aren't they? Too cute about 2 and subsequently impressing him with spreadsheets. A new knitting dodge, blind them with science! Or engineering. (Sorry, that Thomas Dolby song is just stuck in my head).

    Oh, but you must have time to knit that! Shore leave? ;)

    11/04/2006 1:53 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Well, at least the beau didn't run screaming in terror. Full disclosure is not such a bad thing - if he's still around, he's a keeper, right? Of course, you given me lots of good reasons NOT to update my stash list!
    dswaite@mac.com

    11/04/2006 2:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm sorting through the magazine and catalog archives and that's bad enough! You are brave -- some things in my life are remaining a mystery for now ;-)

    11/04/2006 10:27 PM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Oh boy, am I sorry. Look what chaos I wrought with that stash reorganization post! I agree though that full disclosure with the BF is a good idea.

    11/05/2006 1:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I cleaned up the yarn room last night and it was sobering. By cleaned up I mean found places in bins for the yarn sitting on the floor, reorganized, picked a few measly odds and ends to swap or sell. No spreadsheet but I did walk away thinking I have a LOT of yarn. I will NEVER knit it all! Which is a shame because some of it is so gorgeous.

    12/05/2006 8:52 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home