Monday, November 27, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Secret Projects Make for Bad Blogging

    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    -Albert Einstein

    Secret Projects Make for Bad Blogging. Sorry about that. But in addition to the Christmas craziness, I've also been cooking. Know what this is?
    Turkey stock simmering away. Apparently I have a real thing for scraps. As I cook, I take all of my onion peels and carrot tops and other vegetable cuttings and throw them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Then, when I have a turkey or chicken carcass, I throw them all in together and simmer for 4 hours before straining. And there I have something from nothing - and so tasty! I think I have about 6 or 7 quarts of turkey stock cooling in my fridge now, all from things that could have been otherwise thrown out. It's just like all those great knitting projects from scraps.

    11 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yum, I can smell the turkey stock from here. I didn't have Thanksgiving at my house this year and sorely miss the leftovers.

    11/28/2006 3:39 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    We do that too, and usually have "steamboat" (Chinese fondue to those who don't know)!

    11/28/2006 5:04 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    I thought only people who lived through the Depression did that :-)

    I do throw leftover veggies in the fridge for vegetable soups..

    11/28/2006 7:03 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    Always resourceful, Ms Theresa!

    11/28/2006 8:36 AM  
    Blogger Lorette said...

    Yum, indeed. Our turkey stock is all made and in the freezer, waiting for a time when we're not sick of turkey. We had a nearly 20 pound turkey, so it may be awhile before I can even think about it again.

    11/28/2006 9:35 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    YUM!!

    11/28/2006 10:40 AM  
    Blogger Erica said...

    I would choose to visit your blog on an empty stomach and find this photo! It looks great from where I am sitting :)

    11/28/2006 12:44 PM  
    Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

    The stock looks beautiful--even to a vegetarian :-)!

    11/28/2006 8:09 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The turkey stock looks great! You're pretty thrifty there, girl!

    11/28/2006 8:35 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, that is so clever! I'll definitely have to try that.

    11/30/2006 7:56 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It IS the secret keeping time of year...some year I am going to try those ornaments. I can't belive I've had Handknit Holidays since last summer and haven't made anything from it yet.

    11/30/2006 2:12 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home