Wednesday, November 08, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Change of Weather

    "It's nothing," returned Mrs Chick.
    "It's merely change of weather. We must expect change."
    -Charles Dickens, Dombey and Son

    Yesterday you saw the partial results of my experiementation with the completely captivating Lizard Ridge pattern from the latest Knitty. And yes, there are a million other things I ought to be working on. The chuppah. Christmas gifts. The Ribby Cardi that is nearing completion and I might be able to actually wear at some point. And so I am faced with a dilemma.

    No, the dilemma is not whether or not to knit Lizard Ridge. Don't judge me unless you've tried it. Seriously - it's that fun. The dilemma is a yarn dilemma. I started square #1 in Cotton Kureyon that I've had lying around. Oddballs pulled out in The Grand Stash Reorganization of 2006. Oddballs leftover from the scarf-hat-mittens set you see on the right.

    Now, those of you who have never heard of Cotton Kureyon have never heard of it because it was discontinued, probably before I started knitting. I got these skeins (and I think there are about 8-10) for $2 each in the sale shed at my favorite yarn store, not long after I started knitting. It seemed pretty, and like a good idea. I had no idea just how good. But I tried a couple of things, realized that the yarn - while pretty - was probably discontinued because it breaks if you breathe on it, and eventually made a super-long scarf in a lace rib pattern. Just to use it up.

    I made a matching hat, which has always been too big, and mittens, which were never warm enough. But I love this scarf. It looks great with this black wool coat I used to have before the lining fell out. It doesn't match my new winter-white wool coat. And I now live in San Diego. (Notice the subtle photo shoot on the palm leaves?) And when I do get the chance to wear a scarf, or a hat, or mittens, I have at least 3 other sets that I'd reach for first.

    So, the dilemma . . . The way I see it, I have several options:
    1. Rip out the scarf/hat/mittens and recycle the yarn. This will still be only be enough for about half a full-sized blanket, so this would have to be in conjunction with #2.
    2. Stalk ebay for Cotton Kureyon, pay potentially exorbinant prices, and knit the squares piecemeal as I get the yarn.
    3. Consider the one square a swatch/experiment and make the whole blanket in Kureyon. (I do have some Kureyon oddballs I could use to get started, and a couple of random skeins lying around. This will still require a lot of yarn purchasing.)
    4. Take Amy's suggestion and make a pillow. Each square is about 12" square, so probably I would make an oversized pillow with either 4 squares and a cloth or plain backing or 8 squares. I might be able to get 4 squares out of the oddballs and the hat/mittens. I'd need to break into the scarf to get 8.
    5. Take Elinor's suggestion and make a scarf. Oh, the irony!
    These are not necessarily mutually exclusive. And, of course, I'm very very open to other suggestions. Because clearly, this is going to happen. The question is how. And when. What do you think?

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Punkin said...

    How about a combination. Do 1 & 4 and then do 3. What I mean is, rip out the hat and mitts that do not get much use and use them to make pillows, and then knit the blanket other yarn that you have and/or can buy.

    11/08/2006 10:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would do 1 and 4 - frog the set and make maybe a couple of pillows. After I got that out of my system I'd get to work on the chuppah! (I'm old enough to be your mother, so I can nag you.)

    11/09/2006 3:42 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I vote for ripping and ebay stalking. Kinda livens up the whole experience!

    11/09/2006 4:02 AM  
    Blogger Rebekkah said...

    If the yarn is that delicate, how well will it hold up to the ripping process? My vote is to send the winter accessories off to the Dulaan project or some other charity ('cause of the San Diego thing), keep the square as a fun experiment, and one day knit the blanket out of Kureyon when you have the money to buy it. (It doesn't have to be all one color, so you could buy little bits at a time!)

    11/09/2006 4:12 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Hmmm.....I love big pillows. My vote would be to rip out the set and make one or two big pillows for snuggling with on the sofa, bed, or floor.

    11/09/2006 4:12 AM  
    Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

    I like the rip/make pillows idea, or even better, Rebekkah's idea she just posted - send off the already made hat/scarf/mitts to charity and buy what you want for the full blanket! A win-win!

    11/09/2006 5:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think you should make a pillow/s with what you have and give the set to charity. Then do the blanket with Kureyon, adding balls as you the get the chance.

    11/09/2006 8:50 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like the pillow idea!

    11/09/2006 9:11 AM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    I just found some Cotton Kureyon this weekend at Dinah's Yarn Shop in Port Hadlock, WA. There's no website. It was 50%. There was a small basket with two colorways when I was there on Sunday. You might want to give them a call. (They're really disorganized. Tell them it was in a wrought iron rack at the end of the sofa near the door.)

    11/09/2006 10:10 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Would the cotton Kureyon hold up to frogging and re-knitting? If so, I'd probably to that route and see what you can find on Ebay.

    Otherwise, I'd go with
    #3 personally, if you really want it that bad, and you do... you should have it. Start with the Kuryeon you have... and then buying it in little bits it won't notice the total cost in yarn so much!

    11/09/2006 11:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rip out the winter set (sobbing quietly over the scarf) knit what you have and then stalk the net/LYS for more yarn. Hang the cost. It's not a need, it's an obsession.

    11/09/2006 4:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Why waste time ripping out the winter accessory set?
    You don't want it or need it; send it to a homeless shelter, salvation army, north woods post office, etc. where they set will be loved.
    PS--Love you a lot,

    11/09/2006 5:35 PM  
    Blogger Debi said...

    I vote for Rebekah's suggestion...cut your losses and donate the already knitted stuff to charity, use the already knit square for a pillow and buy some Kureyon or Silk Garden and knit the whole blanket. One thing no one mentioned...even if you find enough skeins in the cotton, the blanket would so far too heavy to be comfortable in ANY climate. Cotton is heavy!!

    11/10/2006 4:40 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    I really like the idea of the 4 square pillow. That way you can recycle the "non-perfect" winter wear but keep the scarf...that you will probably get a lot more wear out of in SD :-)

    11/10/2006 8:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You have gotten some excellent advice here. My advice is to take it.

    11/11/2006 6:13 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home