Friday, November 24, 2006

  • Main Page
  • More Dilettantism

    Run mad as often as you like.
    But do not faint.
    -Jane Austen


    Does my blog seem disjointed to you lately? As if I flit from project to project, never able to settle on one, or at least blog about one? And where did that nearly-complete Ribby Cardi come from, anyway? (And, speaking of disjointed, why does my blog look so bad in Internet Explorer? What happens to the sidebar? If anyone knows, let me know. But you should all be using Firefox anyway.)

    Well, if it seems disjointed to you, think of how it looks up close to me! Seriously, I've been a knitting dilettante recently. With a host of long-term serious projects, I've been flittering around on randomness, unable to sustain an attention span longer than about 20 minutes. And then on Thanksgiving, I somehow found the time for even more randomness. (Apparently, the friends whom I was having Thanksgiving dinner took bets on whether or not I would bring my knitting. I did.)

    Month 6 of My-Own-Personal-Book-A-Month Club:
    In honor of all the cooking I've been doing recently, and the fact that I haven't used any wool at all in recent memory, I started the Oven Mitt and Trivet set from Felted Knits. So far, so good. But I worry that I'm running out of non-sweater-patterns in my books. It could be a rough spring if I'm starting a new sweater every month . . . We'll deal with that later.

    A Secret Project: If you are in any way related to me, do not click on the link. Scout's honor. If you are not, and are curious, check out the details at the Who Wouldn't Love a Handknitted Gift? Knit-Along.

    And Cablenet: I would it up into balls and was about to use my favorite tubular cast on before the timely arrival of my Thanksgiving dinner date. Seriously, it saved us all from yet another project. Be Thankful for that!

    9 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Happy Thanksgiving! As for the secret family gift - I just finished the same item as a secret gift for my sister and they turned out nicely. Embrace the knitting ADD!!! :0

    11/24/2006 12:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Knitting is all about the ADD. Isn't it? Not being related to you, I got to click on the link - nice!

    I was wondering if any of your knitting books were something like Alice Starmore's Celtic Collection..... I'm sure they'd understand if you called in sick for say, April. ;)

    11/24/2006 2:27 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Of course you brought your knitting to Thanksgiving dinner! At least you didn't have to work.

    11/25/2006 4:55 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    My theory is that casting on releases endorphins and that's why it feels so good! With your fractured and busy schedule, I think you have some justification for knitting ADD at this point and I say just embrace it and don't worry about it.

    11/25/2006 7:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Since I'm new to reading your blog, I'm just finding out about your Book-A-Month-Club. That's a good idea. I'm thinking of making a couple of oven mitts from Felted Knits for Christmas gifts. Anxious to see how yours turn out.

    11/25/2006 9:40 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with Dorothy...and maybe having a few different projects also works if the level of attention they require varies.

    Re the wonky layout in Internet Explorer: I was going to suggest checking the sizes of your photos (having them >425 px seems to screw up my layout) but yours all seem pretty small, so I don't know what to say!

    11/25/2006 2:45 PM  
    Blogger Dana Marie said...

    My family laughed at me for bringing my knitting to Thanksgiving. But hey, whats a girl to do without it? Socialize without multitasking?

    11/27/2006 4:15 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I haven't noticed anything disjointed. Seems about right to me!

    11/27/2006 10:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't know what it is these days -- I'm all over the map with my knitting right now too. I think it's a combination of the weather inspiring me to cold-weather accessories, the season inspiring me to gift accessories, the apparently high fertility of my friends inspiring me to baby knits, and my own selfishness inspiring me to sweaters n' stuff for me.

    It's kind of fun, though, isn't it? All this knitting gluttony?

    12/02/2006 2:26 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home