Monday, November 20, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Getting Stuff Done

    The only man who is really free is the one who can turn down
    an invitation to dinner without giving an excuse.

    -Jules Renard

    You'd think that on my one day off this week I'd have more time to blog. You'd expect a long and insightful discussion on heel stitches or cable twists or stash acquisition. Sorry, I'm too busy getting stuff done. Including this:

    You know I like darning socks, but it's much more challenging to darn something commercially made. To start with, you don't have any leftover yarn. To the right you see one of my favorite sweaters, an Ann Taylor cardigan in ribs with a few cable twists to add waist shaping. I wear it all the time, especially since I haven't really made that many cotton sweaters yet. Apparently, I wear it so much I snagged it on something. So I finally sat down with my darning egg, a stripe cut out of the leftovers from my Summer Stripe Socks, and got to work. It's better than it looks in that photo, although the colors are pretty dead on. The stitches are more even after washing.

    Total time elapsed in darning: 45 min
    Total time left in my day off: 9 1/2 hrs

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Thanks for posting the link to your darning post. I was planning to do a search for it to help me fix my sock that just got eaten. Now I don't have to :-)

    11/20/2006 3:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Impressive. I hate darning of any kind.

    11/20/2006 6:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Although from a cost-benefit analysis: the 3 hours spent darning could have been put to other use, the sweater donated to the homeless and a new sweater bought for only a little amount of $. Time vs. money, the great conundrum.
    Love you,

    11/20/2006 6:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Time well spent, salvaging a well-loved garment, I'd say. And the quote may be one of my favorites ever on your blog. I am not free.

    11/20/2006 6:38 PM  
    Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

    Wow. That's a 1st class repair!

    11/21/2006 11:05 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Doesn't it feel good to fix something, especially when it's something you love and can't easily replace?

    Nice job on the repair, and an amazing color match!

    11/22/2006 8:29 AM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    I'm glad you got to rescue a favorite sweater! Tell your dad to factor in the time spent shopping for a worthwhile replacement, because that would be greater than the time spent on the repair. ;-)

    11/22/2006 1:05 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home