Sunday, November 12, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Sometimes, It's Good Not To Knit

    The time to relax is when you don't have time for it
    -Epictetus

    Shocking, I know. But sometimes, it's good not to knit. Sometimes, it's great to just be somewhere and do something. To be doing only one thing at a time. Because this weekend, I didn't only have one day off with my beau, I had two. Did that sink in? Two interns with two different call schedules managed to get two days off at the same time. This particular alignment of the stars, gods, and good fortunes was too good to waste. And we didn't. Any guesses where we went?

    Need another hint?

    Joshua Tree National Park is awesome. Stunning. Completely out-of-this world for an east-coaster like myself. I'm used to temperate forests and rolling fields. This desert thing is really something else. (And let me make another pitch for getting your National Parks Pass now. What a great way to support your national parks, and enjoy them any time you want.) In addition to the strange-looking trees and the cacti that are, um, not-as-"fuzzy"-as-they-appear, we also explored Palm Springs, the legendary vacation spot of Hollywood legends of the past. Quite a contrast to the desert, but with much better restaurants.

    I did actually get a little knitting done on the drive out (about 3 rows) before I fell asleep, and a little more on the way back. But most of the time, I was pretty happy to just admire the view, to walk around town or through the park, to sit and talk with my beau. All those things on my knitting list? Not one of them can hold a candle to holding hands with the gentleman below. I think he's standing on the high ground, by the way. And if you don't recognize me in this photo, that would be because I probably haven't been this relaxed since, well, since I don't know when. Regularly scheduled knitting will resume this week. But it was a great weekend of not knitting.

    22 Comments:

    Blogger Dana Marie said...

    Oh my gosh- I have wanted to go to Joshua Tree National Park for 2 years! Every time we are in SD it's too far of a drive for the fam.

    Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    11/13/2006 3:21 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Sounds perfect.

    11/13/2006 3:56 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Sounds like a lovely weekend - you both deserved it!

    11/13/2006 4:11 AM  
    Blogger GamecockDoc said...

    Whoa, what a miracle of the call schedule. Looks like you spent it well.

    11/13/2006 4:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As odd as this might seem, I consider the Coachella Valley my home away from home. Glad you got to relax!! I love the desert - it's always where I'm MOST relaxed.

    11/13/2006 4:23 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Excellent choice of activities!

    11/13/2006 5:31 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    You've got it bad, Theresa!

    Sounds like a great weekend.

    11/13/2006 6:02 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    How great is that!!!!

    I agree with liz k. Real bad!!!!

    Nice to see that big grin on your face, his too.....

    11/13/2006 6:18 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Wow - 2 days off! I feel a 'congratulations' are in order! Glad you were able to get away and relax.

    11/13/2006 6:25 AM  
    Blogger judy said...

    WOW! That looks like a vacation. Nothing like getting away to clear your head.

    11/13/2006 6:40 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Good for you! I'm so glad you got some relaxing time off. I love the desert and the National Parks although I've never been to that one. Hope you're refreshed and reenergized - you deserve it. Really cute guy! Can't wait until you can knit for him.
    dswaite@mac.com

    11/13/2006 6:41 AM  
    Blogger Pat K said...

    We were out to Joshua Tree in 2001. Despite all the signs saying "Don't Touch the Cactus", the old man couldn't resist. Scissors, pliers, much blood and twenty minutes later, we continued our visit. We've never let him forget it, either. You look like you're having a really great time. That's an understatement, by the way.

    11/13/2006 8:33 AM  
    Blogger Francesca said...

    I am completely with you on the not knitting time. Sometimes, it's really nice to be not doing anything. Or at least, not doing anything except walking in Joshua Tree State Park! Wow!

    11/13/2006 10:20 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The hubby was just in Palm Springs/Desert Springs on Saturday (for a work thing)! Were the ones driving around in the Lotus? ;)

    I'm so glad you were able to get away together and relax!

    11/13/2006 11:30 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Awwww....you are glowing, my dear! I think it has something to do with the hand-holding :-)

    My best friend in high school went to college in San Diego and she used to go backpacking in that national park....she now runs the EMC center at the top of Rocky Mtn National Park on Trail Ridge Road. So you got your Golden Eagle Pass, eh?

    11/13/2006 1:11 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    what fun! I've been wanting to get t to Joshua tree since I've moved here... beautful pics!

    11/13/2006 6:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is one we haven't hit, but my betrothed and I have been on a national parks vacation kick for the past 3 summers, and we can't get enough. We are contemplating a national park honeymoon! Your guy is so cute, btw!!

    11/13/2006 6:28 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Hurrah for relaxing!

    11/13/2006 9:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an utterly gorgeous place! And I am so glad you just went and did and let your knitting be itself -- there when you need it, waiting for you if you don't. :)

    That place looks spectacular, I'd love to visit someday and go clambering all around those rocks until I remember what size reptiles like to live there, at which point I'll have a minor panic attack and be thrilled to return to Virginia, where the worst you can do is step on the odd copperhead or timber rattler -- but you have to really work at it out here. :)

    11/14/2006 8:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is one beautiful park! Glad you two had fun.

    11/14/2006 4:01 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You know, though of course I've heard about Joshua Tree National Park before, I must admit I never had any idea what Joshua trees looked like. I had a sort of image of them in my head, but it wasn't that. Very cool looking.

    I hope the rest and reinvigoration you enjoyed this weekend lasts you through the rest of whatever rotation you're currently on!

    11/15/2006 5:04 AM  
    Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

    Sounds like a great weekend--you guys are adorable!

    11/15/2006 9:54 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home