Sunday, August 10, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Dishcloths Galore

    There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe;
    when the loving, the tender, eat a crust, while the infamous sit at banquets.
    -Robert Ingersall

    The Second Annual Dish Rag Tag is about to begin. Remember last year? The pain, the heartbreak, the troubles with the US Postal Service? Well, it's a whole new year. And I am ready.
    Never fear, these aren't early entries for the Dish Rag Tag, these are just my two new favorite patterns, both free patterns from Abigail. Aren't they lovely in the varigated yarn?

    There's no such thing as working ahead in this Dish Rag Tag - that would be cheating - but I have been refreshing my dish rag knitting skills. Last year I won the enviable title of Dish Rag Queen for admitting that I had some 30+ dishrags in their bin under the sink. As a prize, I got the world's most enormous ball of dishcloth cotton. Well, way back in June when my posting was sparse and my working was the stressful and time consuming Night Float, I took that ball to work, set it next to my computer, and knit the occasional row between phone calls, notes, and waiting for lab results.

    So, just how many dish rags can you knit with a pound of dishcloth cotton?

    Eight. Plus two Mason-Dixon baby bibs not pictured here, for variety in all that garter stitching.

    Then, I turned my eyes to the rest of my cotton stash, and, feeling all Mason-Dixon-y, I made a log cabin out Mission Falls 1824 cotton scraps (last seen here as Christmas gifts).
    I love using every last bit of leftovers, don't you? So I took the leftovers from the contrast color on my basketweave dishcloths, and made the cutest wash cloth ever.

    Jen's already gotten this is the mail - hopefully it'll be a nice compliment to all that pink she's been knitting!

    There were more, but perhaps we'll keep them a surprise until later in the exciting August dish rag races?

    Labels: , , ,

    8 Comments:

    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    I love you dish rags. Knitting them can be so addictive.

    8/10/2008 6:00 PM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    wow! That's a lot of dish cloths. But I love the ones I knit too. I have about 7 Ball band dish cloths and love, love, love them. I think I started making them as gifts and then gifted them to myself! I hope you hold the title of Reining Dish Cloth Queen.

    8/11/2008 6:02 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooh, I love that baby washcloth pattern - I never tire of seeing those. So cute! I may need to make some myself... :)

    8/11/2008 3:41 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are dead on about the wash cloth. And I love Abigail's patterns! They are so user friendly.

    8/12/2008 3:16 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The one with feet is so adorable! I am with you on using all my scraps. I find it to be a fun challenge to figure out how to use them, and it appeals to my frugal side.

    It was so great seeing you, your hubby, and sister-in-law on Saturday!

    8/13/2008 9:04 AM  
    Blogger Alaina said...

    Wow...that's a lot of dishrags!!!

    Love the baby toes ;)

    Go Team #4!!!!

    8/15/2008 7:34 AM  
    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    Happy birthday T!! Love SC

    8/26/2008 9:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where are you???? No phone calls *and* no blog updates? Hospital must be crazy.

    9/01/2008 7:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home