Wednesday, July 30, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Mittens and Gloves, Oh My!

    There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged
    to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.
    - Nelson Mandela

    Earthquake? What earthquake? Seriously - I had to be told that we had one. Granted, I was on call in the ICU yesterday and we had a code going on at the same time. I was a little occupied. . . Regardless, there's been a goodly bit of knitting.

    I promised a parade of FOs, and here I am to deliver. For good measure, and to prove that I'm not resting on any laurels that may or may not exist, I'll throw in a UFO at the bottom for good measure.

    Back in mitten month, I raided my entire stash for suitable mitten yarns and cast on for this pair. Then my colorwork frenzy was completely taken over by Salt Lake City and these fell by the wayside. I'm happy to finally add them to the Christmas pile.

    Kalev's Mittens
    Pattern: (rav link) from Nancy Bush's Knitting in Estonia
    Yarn: KnitPicks Gloss, less than one skein each color
    Needles: US 1
    Notes: My two-color braid could be much much neater.
    Best Thing About This Project: Finishing me got my mitten mojo back.

    Remember the alpaca I was wanting to use? I had started the teddy bear from the Holiday IK, but it was a fiddly sort of project and I quickly lost interest. Until I finished those mittens. So I turned back to my alpaca, and my trusty Selbuvotter and started a special pair of . . . gloves. Aren't they lovely? And not nearly so fiddly as I feared.

    The only problem is that these won't touch the quantity of alpaca that I have . . . Guess I'll have to make more pairs!

    Labels: ,

    12 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I missed it too... I was in the car. My hubby called my cell and asked "Did you just have an earthquake?" Umm... I don't think so, did you? He said it was pretty good where he was, and the girls felt it at home.

    Sweet mittens!

    7/30/2008 8:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    These are beautiful! I love both patterns and color combos.

    7/30/2008 9:26 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    Glad all is OK. Weird weather in RI - a tornado across the bay.

    7/31/2008 2:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful mittens, and the gloves look awesome already. Glad everything is ok.

    7/31/2008 4:57 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Your color work is beautiful!

    7/31/2008 6:24 AM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    Beautiful mittens, I'm glad you got your mojo back! I've been eyeing the Selbuvotter book since last winter. I don't know what's holding me back!

    7/31/2008 8:37 AM  
    Blogger P and P said...

    I missed you while you were gone, but am happy for you.Great mittens and great photos of HI.

    7/31/2008 8:46 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was happy to hear there was minimal damage in that quake.

    Nice mittens and a pair of gloves! Very nice!

    8/01/2008 2:10 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    I felt the earthquake down at work in La Jolla, but I think it was mostly because the office was quiet and I heard the rattling. My husband was driving so obviously didn't feel it, and my kids at YMCA camp didn't notice a thing either.

    I love those mittens/gloves! I've never done a pair of stranded mittens or gloves. They are so beautiful, but I just don't really have much use for them here. Perhaps my friend who lives in DC needs a pair for Christmas? That's an idea. Yours look great!

    8/02/2008 11:42 AM  
    Blogger Laurie said...

    Really nice FOs. Your tension is great.

    8/02/2008 5:37 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Boy did we feel it! We are really close to the epicenter and the whole house shook like it was going to fall down.

    I will call later about our favorite Rhode Island family visiting from August 8-16. Perhaps you could come visit for a day? Our guest room is free since they are staying in a hotel.

    8/04/2008 2:46 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Love both of your mitten patterns! I'm in a mitten-knitten mood myself.

    8/20/2008 8:54 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home