Monday, May 19, 2008

  • Main Page
  • A Summer in Silk

    One swallow does not make a summer.
    -Aristotle

    I've long been an admirer of knitzalot's extensive collection of summer knits (love this Josephine!). After all, she lives in San Diego just like me. It's been 90 degrees here lately. It's a nice long sunny summer. But I've been intently sticking to my wool (and I just finished the Bed and Breakfast pullover - photos coming soon). But then I had some silk that I've been carting around for years and states, and it was the perfect amount for a nice summer top.

    Let's all pause and ponder how perfect Ravelry is in this situation. I had my yarn, my yardage, my weight, and I found the perfect pattern.

    Surplice Bodice Top
    Pattern: From Knitting Lingerie Style - a much more versatile book than I had previously given it credit
    Yarn: Anny Blatt Kanpur, a 100% silk DK weight that I got for the steal of the century at $2/ball at a sale back in 2001; 4.5 skeins, approx 600 yards
    Needles: US 6 and US 5
    Notes: Great pattern. I need a camisole for underneath that doesn't have as much contrast, though.
    Best Thing About This Project: A night out on the town is coming.

    Now, what should I do with the last 1.5 skeins? Because while I've used most of the yarn, I haven't used all of it . . .

    Labels: , , ,

    21 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is really cute on you!!

    5/19/2008 8:04 PM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    Cute top! Is there enough yarn left for a small scarf?

    5/19/2008 10:00 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    What a great top for your California lifestyle :-)

    I'll bet the silk feels as nice as it looks! Enjoy!

    5/19/2008 11:44 PM  
    Blogger bySarah said...

    Adorable top...love it, especially love the color!

    5/20/2008 5:00 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    Do you have enough yarn left to make a little clutch or pouch?

    This sort of deep-strata stash diving is among my favorites, because the really old sale-yarn is the stuff that worries me the most. Will I ever use it? You used it well, and totally justified sale shopping and long-term stashing!

    5/20/2008 6:04 AM  
    Blogger margene said...

    It looks great on you! Good work all the way around.

    5/20/2008 6:55 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Awww! You look so cute. That looks like a very versatile top. I can see it with jeans or a really flowy pretty skirt. Nice job.

    5/20/2008 7:22 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Love the top. It's so cute!

    5/20/2008 7:39 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    The top looks great! Congrats on finding a use for the yarn.

    5/20/2008 7:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very cute!

    5/20/2008 9:44 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's looks so cute on you!

    90's eh? You didn't get the triple digit heat wave we had in No CA last weekend?

    5/20/2008 4:01 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Very cute! A nice departure from the usual. I was also thinking a matching clutch or evening bag would be nice.

    5/20/2008 5:17 PM  
    Blogger Jill L said...

    Looks fantastic! Use the rest to make a cowl --they're the new scarf!

    5/21/2008 7:10 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Super cute! Very SoCal ;)

    5/22/2008 7:38 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Great top!

    We have avoided summer thus far here in Virginia. We've had a nice, long, wet spring. Summer will hit us like a hot, wet, blanket soon, I am sure.

    5/23/2008 6:04 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love the top and the color is amazing on you!!

    5/23/2008 8:43 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    Very cute top! and the red is a great color on you.

    5/24/2008 11:45 PM  
    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    Great top and love the color on you! Awesome. :) Love SC

    5/25/2008 5:16 PM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    Fabulous. I have that book and haven't knit a thing out of it. Maybe I should work on that...

    5/28/2008 11:00 AM  
    Blogger juicyknits said...

    This is already on my list. It looks great on you!

    5/29/2008 6:43 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is gorgeous! I love how you can wear it with jeans, or dress it up a bit more. (I also love how in my last two comments I've attempted to masquerade as someone who knows how to talk knowledgeably about clothing and accessories, which I patently am not).

    Have we seen the B&B Pullover yet?

    7/12/2008 5:55 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home