Sunday, April 20, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Wedding Knitting

    Hear the mellow wedding bells Golden bells!
    What a world of happiness their harmony foretells
    Through the balmy air of night
    How they ring out their delight!
    -Edgar Allen Poe

    Gosh, it sure is nice to have this husband of mine home. We're still basking in the wedding glow (mostly by organizing our new matching dishes!), so I'll continue the theme with the wedding knitting we I did.

    The Manos Four Seasons ThrowBecause my mom was always worried that I'd elope and not have a "real" wedding. And then we did (sort of) elope, and my parents still threw us a big wedding. Because nothing beats walking down the aisle with your dad. Especially when he's wearing your handknit socks.Manos Four Seasons Throw
    Pattern: shamelessly borrowed from Disentangled (her version here)
    Yarn: Manos in 12 colors
    Needles: US 9 Brittany Birch straights
    Notes: I did 10 of the 12 offered patterns because 2 others were just too annoying. Otherwise I love it.
    Best Thing About This Pattern: Keeping my mom warm while my dad turns down the thermostat.

    I knit a few other things for the wedding, many of which you've seen before. These Selbuvotter mittens were for one of our readers, a good friend who has been asking me for mittens for years and years.

    For my lovely bridesmaids, I made various cotton facecloths as part of a tote bag of goodies. This is, of course, part of the deep, dark plan to turn them all into knitters with their now-perfect knitting bags. (My sister giving her toast. ETA: She ended with a part of Pablo Neruda's Ode to My Socks, my favorite poem. How appropriate!)

    Of course, I took photos of none of them, so you can just imagine. If you have plans of doing the same, I heartily recommend Yvonne's Double Flower Cloth for maximum effect.

    Don't they look happy with their gifts? And, tired of the 3-inch heels my sister picked out!
    I'll close with some gratuitous shots. First, the baby did wear my sweater vest. And, just a lovely gratuitous shot. When else can I wear a veil? It was fun.

    Labels: ,

    18 Comments:

    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    Oh goodie, I'm the first comment!! As one of the fortunate bridesmaids to receive the handknit washcloth (in navy, of course) AND the perfect knitting bag, let me say "well done and thank you" on the gifts. And the great wedding weekend too! Love SC

    4/20/2008 7:11 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    T: You must take down the "Admit This Girl for Psychiatric Care Immediately!!!" photo--your blogosphere will think that I'm nuts! (however, on the off off chance that you decline to accept my sisterly advice and fail to remove the photo, at least have the kind courtesy to mention the poem that grounded my speech ... after all, this is a blog about knitting ... ;))
    Love, "Bridesmaid B"

    4/20/2008 7:29 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    TKS--you're a peach :)

    4/20/2008 9:04 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Not gratuitous at all - lovely, just plain lovely! You all look so happy. I wish you many years of knitterly joy and being stationed together - maybe even at Whidbey Island some day!

    4/20/2008 9:28 PM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    So much knitting, and the wedding planning, AND residency! I am in awe.

    The blanket looks great!

    4/20/2008 10:09 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I enjoyed seeing all the pictures. The bridemaids gifts sound perfect. I've bookmarked the facecloth pattern. Thanks.

    4/21/2008 5:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes! We've got to torture "bridesmaid B" with that photo for years and years to come. The funny thing is, I think she looks quite pretty and authentic in it, and it's not embarrassing at all,

    I think my tote will do double duty as a knitting/beach bag--something you're surely familiar with out in SD?

    4/21/2008 7:05 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    The blanket looks great! But how can it compete with such great wedding photos!?! ;) It looks like everyone had a great time.

    4/21/2008 8:19 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    Beautiful photos of a beautiful event. And I love that poem - I never read it before. And I must queue that face cloth pattern too - I'm a sucker for stars in the round.

    4/21/2008 9:40 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just wanted to say congratulations !! I so enjoy your blog and your beautiful knitting. I don't know how you find the time but with such grateful recipients I know why you do. Best wishes with all of your endeavors.

    4/21/2008 11:34 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    It looks like the wedding was so much fun (of course)! The gifts sound just perfect, and I'm sure the recipients just loved them.

    4/21/2008 12:37 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay! Wedding photos! You look so beautiful and happy. :)

    4/21/2008 1:30 PM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    Beautiful photos! You look absolutely gorgeous, and very very happy.

    Glad your day was wonderful. :)

    4/21/2008 7:01 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    I have loved all of your photos and being a fly on the wall at your gorgeous wedding!

    4/21/2008 8:45 PM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    I notice you did not credit me for any of these photos. Don't forget, I am an attorney...

    4/22/2008 4:43 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations - you look beautiful!!

    4/22/2008 11:58 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Thanks for sharing your special moment with us, Theresa! I loved seeing all the pictures! You two look adorable and I think it is so cool that your dad wore your handknit socks!

    5/06/2008 7:27 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those aren't gratuitous shots at all! Those are the shots your loyal readers are clamoring for!

    It looks like a beautiful wedding, and I hope it was everything you hoped it would be. Years' worth of congratulations to you and the beau-turned-husband!

    5/13/2008 5:13 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home