Friday, February 15, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Birthdays Are For Socks

    All weddings, except those with a shotgun in evidence, are wonderful.
    -Liz Smith

    You may recall from previous years that - being a man sound in mind and spirit - my dad is a fan of handknit socks. Earlier this year he dropped the subtle hint that he thought his socks collection was a little low. In particular, he requested bright socks. Think these will do?

    I have it on good authority that he likes them:

    The socks are the softest, smoothest I've ever worn. you have me spoiled.
    I would like to wear them with my Tux on April 12. They are green and will match my Green vest, your Mom's dress, etc.
    They are black and will match the Tux; they are Navy, and will match the rest of the bridal party.

    Your Mom rightfully so, suggested that I run this by you for your permission, as it is your day, and the uniformity will be somewhat askew, if my socks aren't a BORING black. (PS-- even though I am asking, If you say NO, I won't follow your advice!)

    Dad's Birthday Socks
    Pattern: basic stockinette stitch
    Yarn: Regia stripe I picked up in Germany a couple of years ago
    Needles: US 1
    Notes: None. Regia is by far my favorite of the "regular" sock yarns - soft, wears like iron, and comes in great colors.
    Best Thing About This Project: They'll be coming to my wedding.*

    *For those of you confused about my marital status, rest assured that my husband and I are happily, legally married. Due to the joys of being a dual military couple, the church-y-reception-y part is separated in space and time from the rest and is coming up in April.

    Labels:

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I love that your Dad wants to wear a pair of your handknit socks to your wedding! That's a dad who knows and appreciates his daughter.

    2/16/2008 5:56 AM  
    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    I second Liz's thoughts! And the multi-wedding approach makes perfect sense...I went through that myself (though for different reasons).

    2/16/2008 8:56 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    I think your Dad deserves a few more pairs of socks. He's very appreciative!

    2/16/2008 9:14 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Too cute! I look forward to seeing a photo or two of your dad in his socks on your wedding day :-)

    2/16/2008 9:18 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    That is so sweet! I love the part where he says that if you say no, he'll just ignore you anyway. ;) I think the socks really suit him - bright but still classy.

    2/16/2008 10:27 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I think that is just about the sweetest thing I've ever heard! Be sure you get some wedding photos that show the socks!

    2/17/2008 9:29 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Yay for socks! Yay for your wedding! Speaking as one who just got a delivery from Piperlime... I'm voting for a festival of cute footwear. Your dad deserves to wear the socks. After all, his feet will look dashing and provide a masculine counterpoint to the bridal party's adorable blue shoes! :)

    Speaking of bridal parties... I'm having a dress debate over at my blog. Please weigh in! I can't decide what I want...

    2/17/2008 10:57 PM  
    Blogger Francesca said...

    I love your dad's request... and I love multi-part weddings. As a two-country couple, we had two goings on ourselves. About a million years ago, now.

    2/19/2008 7:09 AM  
    Blogger nova said...

    I think geographic bachelor/ette-hood is such a funny thing. You seem to be handling it pretty well, I think it helps that you are so busy. And your dad, he deserves seventybajillion pairs of knit socks.

    2/19/2008 8:56 AM  
    Blogger Linda said...

    Great dad!

    Does this dual wedding thing mean that you get to have 2 anniversaries to celebrate each year?

    2/19/2008 10:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So cute! And happy b-day to your dad!

    2/19/2008 12:43 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Awwww....how sweet! Your dad is proud of his little girl!

    I agree with you about the Regia. I'm knitting some Kaffe Fasett Regia right now and I know it will hold up just as well as my other Regia socks and the colors will still be vibrant several years down the road.

    2/19/2008 5:54 PM  
    Blogger Caroline said...

    What a cute dad, you have.

    I must try from Regia yarn. I love some of the fancy hand-dyed yarns, but they're not very tough.

    2/20/2008 8:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hope your wedding photographer makes sure to capture a photo that highlights the socks! It's not every bride who knits her father socks for her wedding day.

    3/01/2008 2:54 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home