Wednesday, January 23, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Some Scarves

    The thing I miss about Air Force One is they don't lose my luggage.
    -George H. W. Bush


    Welcome to Time Machine Tuesday, brought to you on Wednesday this week by the fine folks who left me stranded in Houston yesterday after assuring me three times that I would make my connecting flight. I mean, really - wouldn't you rather be stranded with your husband instead of some airport motel? I think so.

    At any rate, it's hard to get too upset after a phenomenal weekend on the Gulf Coast and New Orleans. Not only was it full of fun new sights and good food and buildings older than 20 years, but it was also cold. Highs in the low 50s meant that most of the day and night it was in the 20s and 30s. And that meant great scarf and mitten weather. So, today, we'll explore some scarves for Time Machine Tuesday. Mostly because these are the photos I already had loaded up and, as stated, I'm stranded in Houston. Hmmm . . .

    Scarf #1, circa 2002 Pattern: A sideways garter stitch stripe with self-fringing edges
    Yarn: All kinds of leftovers from all the Lionbrand and other craft store yarns I had when I first started knitting
    Needles: long circulars
    Notes: This is a great concept for a scarf, where-ever I first heard it. It was fun, easy, and a little too addicting when I was making it. Actually, I made two and the second I gave away. I used a worsted weight grey yarn as a base for this and knit with that every 3rd row, for balance.
    Wearing Notes: As you can see, this is a little worse for the wear. So much so, that I'm tossing it after the photo shoot. The culprit? The chenille. Worms are ugly.
    Best Thing About This Project: It used to look awesome with this leather jacket I wore in med school. Plus, I always love a good "something from nothing" knit.

    Scarf #2, circa 2004
    Pattern:
    Old Shale from Mielke's Farm - great free pattern
    Yarn: some craft-store mohair blend
    Needles: US 8? 9?
    Notes: Fun, easy pattern. Lots of bang for the buck. Makes a skinny scarf.
    Wearing Notes: This scarf, too, used to look great with that leather jacket. The yarn has lost a lot of its original body over time, and it's soon heading for the Goodwill box. But it got a lot of wear, and for a total yarn cost of around $5, I think I got my money's worth.
    Best Thing About This Project: I loved having a whole scarf collection to pick and chose for the day or occasion. This was a rather valued member.

    Next up: The scarf that took on New Orleans with great aplomb.

    Labels: , ,

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Kat said...

    Yesterday our high was 32, and that was at 6am. Over the weekend our highs were in the low teens or single digits! Highs in the 50s require scarves yes, but I have had to reevaluate my definition of cold since moving away from CA.

    Thanks for time machine Tuesday. It is nice to see other peoples old handknits and hear how they have worn.

    1/23/2008 6:07 AM  
    Blogger claudia said...

    I love blog features like this!

    1/23/2008 10:55 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love Time Machine Tuesday! I've been saving little extra bits of yarn to make a sideways scarf like yours...I've been in a knitting lull lately- that might be a fun project to pick up!

    1/23/2008 4:56 PM  
    Blogger nova said...

    I have been thinking about doing a long garter stich scarf from some leftovers... I liked this one, too bad it's going to be recycled (sounds so much better than "trashed").

    1/24/2008 7:09 AM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    T, you're "it." (see my blog).

    1/24/2008 8:53 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Those look like they gave many good years of service before being decommissioned. Sometimes I'm happy when something wears out, since it's a good excuse to get something new. ;)

    1/24/2008 11:24 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Did you at least keep the leather jacket?

    And lol about buildings older than 20 years! C'mon. San Diego has an Old Town section. Surely there are a FEW older buildings. ;)

    1/24/2008 12:31 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home