Saturday, January 12, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Mitten Mania Continues

    I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple
    in a field and don't notice it.
    -Alice Walker

    Houston, We have a problem. Remember my big resolutions to knit big projects? Turns out I'm hopeless in the siren call of the mittens. I stalk my mailbox waiting for the yarn to knit Very Cabley thumbs. I knit mittens, dream mittens, browse Ravelry for mittens. And then I saw these Wacky Selbu Mittens and I was sunk. I had the Kureyon (top ends in blue and purple - it's a great colorway). I had the contrast color. I had Folk Mittens.

    But it wasn't all peachy keen. There was an error in the pattern. A big error. A fundamental problem with the Norwegian thumb gore.

    Essentially, a Norwegian thumb gore, as it really not made clear in the book, "borrows" palm stitches on the palm side. Oh, and the cast on number and the thumb chart were wrong. Oh, and I didn't notice the big *errata* sign on Ravelry, so I had to knit it twice before I realized it was the pattern and not me.

    In the midst of all that frustration, I did what any knitter would do. I cast on for the Bird in Hand Mittens. Which are all that is lovely in real life (way better than that photo) in my new favorite color of Cascade 220. [9457/"French Blue" or "Cobalt Heather"]

    This raises an intriguing question about a future knit - my Bed and Breakfast Pullover. I was thinking of this in an aqua/turquoise sort of color, but now that I've met this French Blue color, I might be changing my mind. What do you think?

    Labels: ,

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Donna said...

    Ha! I am a complete and utter sucker for any pattern that substitutes Kureyon for its color patterning - I'll definitely try a pair of these to match the Fake Isle I plan on making. As for the Bed and Breakfast, I'd make the color you'd wear more - this blue does remind me of that cabled turtleneck you made awhile back, so it must be a favorite!

    1/12/2008 10:20 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    I love the French Blue.

    1/12/2008 4:19 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The blue is great in the bird in hand mittens! Sorry the Wacky Selbu mittens turned out to be such as pain.

    1/13/2008 8:04 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    I'd have to see the other color to know for sure, but I like the french blue.

    1/14/2008 9:42 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pretty beginnings of mittens! (Damn pattern errors!)I just queued the Bed and Breakfast Pullover!

    1/14/2008 10:03 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    That blue is gorgeous, but any color would work. Go with which ever calls to you the most.

    1/15/2008 12:43 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think the French Blue and the mittens are gorgeous. Bummer about not noticing the errata in the mittens though. Alas. At least it wasn't you.

    1/15/2008 7:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I'm partial to the French Blue, myself, but you pull of turquoise better than just about anyone I know, so I don't think you can go wrong.

    1/23/2008 10:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home