Sunday, January 06, 2008

  • Main Page
  • The Stash

    Do not discourage your child from hoarding, if they have a taste for it;
    whoever lays up his penny rather than part with it for a cake,

    at least is not the slave of a gross appetite;
    and shows beside a preference, always to be esteeemed, for the future.
    -Samuel Johnson

    I'm following along on the Stash Knit Down 2008 over at Ravelry (echoing my fellow knitbloggers when I ponder - how did we ever live without it?), so you may be seeing a few progress reports popping up. Especially given today's onset of the January Challenge - to knit a mile of yarn. Yup, 1760 yards of yarn. Good thing I'm knitting an enormous sportweight sweater!

    In order to follow progress, it's important to see where we're starting. January 1, 2008 found me with what I believe to be my highest yarn total ever. (Aided considerably by the end-of-December purchases for Salt Lake City and the Manos Four Seasons Throw. Excuses notwithstanding, these were my totals:
    Skeins: 602.25
    Yards: 118,885
    Miles: 67.5

    A few clarifications - a skein in my spreadsheet can be 25g of bulky something or a huge cone of laceweight. It, in general, includes only full skeins. The big basket of sock leftovers, or the bigger basket of other leftovers, aren't generally counted, although I do tally partial skeins when they are part of a lot (e.g. 3.5 skeins of Cascade 220 leftover from Am Kamin).

    The goals: A little modest stash reduction. Most of my stash I love and plan to knit. Some of it I'd passively part with on my Ravelry page. And a few things I'd actively like to get rid of (maybe 5-10 skeins, not much). Mostly I would just be comfortable with a smaller stash, so I feel less guilty buying yarn. Most of my stash - believe it or not - is not sweater quantities of yarn. Lots of laceweight, lots of sock yarn, lots of small lots of things. So everytime I want to make a sweater I have to buy yarn. For the most part, I like this because I buy the right yarn for the sweater, but then the stash goes unknit. Hence, Knit Down the Stash.

    The goals, The numbers: By December 31, 2008, I'm aiming for
    Skeins: <500
    Yards: <100,000


    That doesn't sound too hard, except that there are several impending yarn purchases for my 2008: Twelve Projects plans. Sweater projects. The good news? I've already made some progress:

    Skeins: 597.25
    Yards: 118, 544

    Yesterday I returned some yarn for the first time ever, some Manos that didn't make the cut for the throw. I returned 2 skeins in exchange for 3 of Cascade 220, so I'm now up in both skeins and yardage from the transaction, but since I have near-plans for the Cascade and none for the Manos, I get points for increasing the usability of the stash.

    Labels: ,

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Donna said...

    Thanks for pointing the way toward the Stash Down - I'll look forward to your progress, even if I doubt I can knit a mile of yarn this month!

    1/06/2008 1:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm going to unofficially try to knit a mile this month myself.

    Oh my. Took a searching and fearless inventory, did you?

    1/06/2008 2:30 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I'm working on stash reduction too, although I probably won't be as organized about it as you are. I'm thinking of it more from a frugal point of view. I really want to spend less money this year and it doesn't make sense to buy more yarn when I have so much already. Hmm - a mile of yarn. I guess a laceweight project would eat up more mileage. I'll have to think about that one!

    1/06/2008 4:53 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    My stash is not so huge that I feel guilty about it. I do have some wonderful yarns to find patterns for and I hope to do a better job of that this year. Good luck with your plans.

    1/07/2008 5:30 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    You are so good at making detailed plans and then executing them. It must be the military training.

    I am really excited to see what you knit with your small lots of yarn, since this is a problem for me as well. Oh, and I am giddy to see all the beautiful sweaters you have planned.

    1/07/2008 8:47 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    Good luck with that! My stash size has been aided tremendously by my inability to buy yarn lately, but I still think that I can only say it hasn't grown, not that it has actually decreased. Amazing, isn't it?

    1/07/2008 3:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good luck with the Stash Down!

    1/07/2008 6:08 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home