Sunday, October 07, 2007

  • Main Page
  • The Scrappy Socks Are Here

    Leftovers in their less visible form are called memories.
    Stored in the refrigerator of the mind and the cupboard of the heart. -Thomas Fuller

    They're here! They're here! The Scrappy Socks are here!

    And I adore them. They turned out even better than I expected. They seem to flow from one pattern to the other almost effortlessly. Again, better than I expected.

    Scrappy Socks
    Pattern: mine (see below)
    Yarn: mine leftovers (see below)
    Needles: US 1 dpns
    Notes: Um, see below
    Best Thing About This Project: These are my favorite socks by far. More than any of the technically-challenging ones, these I jsut adore. It's all the memories of all the socks. And I'm in love.

    So, you want to know what I did? Consider this your Ten Step Pattern (but you do need to already know how to knit socks):
    1. Grab your self-striping sock yarns and pick a solid or two for the cuffs, toes, and heels.
    2. Cast on the right number of stitches for socks for you on needles you choose. (I did 64 sts on US 1s)
    3. Make a cuff in your cuff color (highly recommended to be a solid). I did 20 rows.
    4. Start with a color you have more of than others and knit 8 rows. After 8 rows, stop.
    5. Switch to another color, and knit 8 rows. As you switch colors, weave in the ends as you go. (This is KEY. You really don't want all those ends to weave in.)
    6. Keep alternating colors every 8 rows until it's long enough for the leg. You want to make sure you repeat one or two colors at regular-ish intervals for continuity.
    7. Make a heel. I like heel flaps, but you could easily do short rows. Use a non-striping yarn for this.
    8. Pick back up with the self-striping and knit - changing every 8 rows and making a gusset if needed - until the toe.
    9. Knit a toe in your contrast color.
    10. Make a second sock "the same" as the first. I used the same yarns in the same order, but that meant that the colors were often from different places in the stripe sequence. Looks great, doesn't it?
    Reasons I think this worked in this pair:
    1. I didn't use all of my leftovers, I only grabbed about 8 different self-striping ones that somewhat coordinated. In this case, that meant none of the "manly" ones.
    2. Only 8 rows at a time. And always eight rows (except one time when I was running out and I only did 6, but the same on each sock).
    3. I repeated a couple of yarns throughout - the magenta-orange one and the lone Opal skein I had (the one with the longer repeats).
    4. Definitely do solid heels, toes, and cuffs. It ties it all together.
    The only downside:
    Look how much leftover sock yarn I still have. These socks used much less yarn than I expected, and only rid me entirely of one whole color.

    Labels: ,

    17 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    They are adorable!! You'll just have to make more pairs like them, until your scraps are gone, hee, hee.

    10/07/2007 9:00 PM  
    Blogger Jessica said...

    You just need to make a dozen more pairs and your scraps will be all used up. ;)

    10/07/2007 10:09 PM  
    Blogger Stef said...

    I love 'em! Those leftovers make a great whole pair. I've also been working on a few leftover socks... so far, my most interesting results have been from alternating each row between two leftover sock yarns, occasionally switching one out for a different leftover yarn.

    10/07/2007 11:12 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    They came out beautifully. Thanks for the pattern tips. When I get enough leftovers I will make scrappy socks!

    10/08/2007 3:49 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Leftovers just means more scrappy socks - after all, look how fast those went!

    10/08/2007 4:13 AM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    They are too cute. I guess a good idea would be to knit both at the same time from either end of the ball to keep them looking similar? How about mini socks for key chains from the leftovers of the leftovers?

    10/08/2007 4:55 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love those! I've been saving scraps for heels and toes, but didn't think of a whole sock from scraps. They look great :o)

    10/08/2007 7:04 AM  
    Blogger Lisa D. said...

    Such a great idea. Turned out cute!

    10/08/2007 7:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Socks are cute.

    The picture of that big basket of scraps just sitting on the floor makes me think of how quickly all the yarn would be tangled and strewn around the room if Bella ever got her nose in there.

    10/08/2007 7:54 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Thanks for the instructions! They're quite helpful, actually. So, does the huge basket mean that their are more scrappy socks in your future?

    We are free at the end of the October to get togetehr. Just give us a call or email with details.

    10/08/2007 10:04 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    They came out great! That is a great stash busting project that doesn't look like a stash busting project, if you know what I mean ;-)

    At least you have plenty more yarn to make more scrappy socks!

    10/08/2007 11:36 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I NEED to do this! Maybe in between every regular sock make a scrappy sock! It will still take me YEARS to use up all these scraps.

    10/08/2007 11:41 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maybe you should make Christmas stockings in this style...those would use up quite a bit more of the yarn, right?

    10/08/2007 12:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hooray for knitting socks to love and that use up leftover yarn!

    10/08/2007 2:09 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The socks are great, but you know me: short-rows all the way!

    10/08/2007 7:38 PM  
    Blogger Twisted Knitter said...

    What an excellent idea! They're so cute! I will definitely be doing this someday.

    10/14/2007 4:37 PM  
    Blogger alienated_bookworm said...

    Great job! Those yarns go very well together!

    11/21/2007 8:39 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home