Wednesday, September 26, 2007

  • Main Page
  • The Mystery Revealed

    A bumper of good liquor will end a contest
    quicker than justice, judge, or vicar.
    -Richard Brinsley Sheridan

    I didn't mean to be so mysterious . . . I did, in fact, have a project in mind for those random leftover sock yarn pieces. The ones that I most want to use are not the solid color ones (and I was surprised at how many of my scraps are solid colors), or even the varigated ones. It's the self-striping ones. What to do with a small ball of self-striping sock yarn?

    As much as I admire the impressive sock yarn blankets out there, self-striping isn't for miters in my opinion, or even log cabins. It's for socks.So I'm making a sock of leftovers. I have enough of the blue to make the cuff and toe, and a blue-white mix to make the heels. I'm hoping that will tie it all together enough to then me to stripe my self-striping yarns in sections of 8 rows. So far it's looking good, what do you think?

    And it's just in time - I won another contest! More sock yarn, this time from Karen. I love Trekking. And I'll have so little guilt left after knitting up all those scraps.

    Labels: ,

    11 Comments:

    Blogger sloth-knits said...

    The socks look cool!

    I was going to beg for some of that contest-winning mojo, but then I realized I keep forgetting to enter the contests in the first place :).

    9/26/2007 9:49 PM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    Hurray, I'm so glad the package got there. Although now, looking at the picture, I can see I left a price tag on the yarn. How tacky is that?? ;) Enjoy!

    9/27/2007 4:32 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I'm just starting to accumulated enough leftover balls of sock yarn to do something like this. Looks good so far.

    9/27/2007 5:41 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I like your idea - I've got bags of leftover sock yarn lying around. Oh dear - now I not only have the pressure to knit up my stash, but the leftovers as well!

    9/27/2007 6:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I always PLAN to knit up my little teeny leftover sock yarn balls - you are actually doing it - I'm impressed!!

    9/27/2007 7:48 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, you are on a winning streak! I love the socks so far. What a clever idea! If I had lots of small bits I would probably think "baby socks", but that has more to do with my current situation than anything else. ;)

    9/27/2007 9:43 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How very efficient of you! They look good so far!

    9/27/2007 12:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great idea! Yay for winning more yarn!

    9/27/2007 5:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Will the two socks have matching stripes (that is, do you have enough of each yarn for 16 rows)? Or will they be entirely different except for the blue cuffs and toes?

    Sounds fun -- can't wait to see them! Great idea.

    9/28/2007 7:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great idea for using up leftover sock yarn! I'll have to do that too sometime!

    9/29/2007 8:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm really glad to see someone making a sock of leftover yarn! I'm saving up my leftover sock yarn to do an absolutely wack sock. Yours is looking great!

    10/01/2007 6:45 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home