Saturday, September 08, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Harrumph!

    I'm the perfect example of the grumpy old man. I'm really good at it.
    -Ned Beatty

    There's only one way to describe my week - it's been very harrumph. That delightful husband o' mine had to leave for his 6 months of training in Pensacola, which is - you will note - not here. Harrumph. Work has been ridiculous, to the extent that when Friday was only a 12 hour day I really truely felt like I was leaving really early. Harrumph. And I've had almost no inspiration to knit or blog. Harrumph.

    So today - because I'm really not a grumpy person and this is really not a grumpy blog - I'm making a list of the positive things.
    1. My husband is driving cross-country with my dad. Hee hee hee.
    2. The heat wave finally broke and it's lovely out today.
    3. I can watch as much Grey's Anatomy as I want.
    4. The Backyard Leaves scarf from Scarf Style. I started it a while ago, but now it's become the perfect not-quite-knitting. A scarf takes such minimal commitment to pick up and put down, and this one is just interesting enough. I'm making it in Merino Style, and it's lovely.
    5. Not to mention the cuteness of the project bag I'm using. This used to be part of an LL Bean gift package that included pancake mix and blueberry syrup. Now it holds yarn - a good trade, no?
    6. Christmas is coming. Not only does my husband get to come home, but he's been dropping lots of not-so-subtle hints about the sweaters he wants. How long does it take to make a tall man's sweater? Hmmmm . . . .

    Labels: , ,

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Lori said...

    Fat yarn = fast sweater (and then over-heated husband; probably not the best idea...)
    Sorry to hear you're feeling grumpy - the scarf is great, and the bag is perfect, and he'll be back before you know it!

    9/08/2007 10:49 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    Harumph is right. You deserve some harumph in your life. 6 months in Pensacola? Harumph!

    BTW, I made Dylan Goes Electric for my hubby, who is 6ft tall and blessed with reeeeaaaalllly long arms. It took about 2.5 months. My best suggestion is to make it in nothing thinner than worsted, but Aran is even better!

    9/08/2007 10:53 AM  
    Blogger Fancy Pants said...

    I live in Pensacola and don't worry. Your husband won't have much fun here. It's a rather mundane city, unless he wants a tattoo, in which case there are 27 tattoo shops in town but he should come to our shop because its clean and the artists are really good (I'm biased about the good artists though because one of 'em is my love). Enjoy your knitting time. Depending on how quickly you knit, it will take you roughly a month to make a tall man's sweater.

    9/08/2007 3:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, if you ask me, it takes a really long time to make a tall man's sweater. But that's just me - you? Three months and he'll have a choice between two of them. Six months, and he should have one for each day of the week ;) Hope things improve - sign up for free long distance, or Skype!

    9/08/2007 4:32 PM  
    Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

    Good luck with the separation:(

    LOVE the Backyard Leaves scarf, I'll be checking that one out for sure...

    9/08/2007 6:16 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Bad thing - no hubby for six months. :(
    Good thing - lots of secret knitting time!
    I'm trying to knit hubbo a sweater in secret so it will be a surprise, so I can only work on it at the yarn shop or at knitting night. Knit like the wind, I will.

    9/08/2007 6:45 PM  
    Blogger Joan said...

    It'll always take longer than you think! I can just picture you, knitting away in front of Grey's Anatomy, and having to hide the secret knitting when on the webcam...

    9/09/2007 4:39 AM  
    Blogger Mikki said...

    I knit my hubby a sweater in two weeks during the Knitting Olympics. He has a 53" chest and 29" sweater length. It was a pretty pattern. But I focused on that sweater alone for 2 weeks ( and my fourth semester nursing grades show it, only a B). It can be done!

    9/09/2007 5:09 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    I feel your pain yet rejoice in your positive attitude! Your comment about a 12-hr shift feeling short astounds me. DD#2 is exhausted working her 12-hr nursing shifts! I hope the next six months fly by - maybe all that Christmas knitting will help.

    9/09/2007 5:40 PM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    When I try to watch Grey's Anatomy, there's much harumphing from the Husband. Getting to watch as much of it as you want - definately a positive.

    9/10/2007 6:44 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Sorry that the husband has left! We should arrange a visit whenever your schedule is less ridiculous.

    The scarf looks beautiful and your new project bag is perfect. I've often thought about ordering a large tote from LL Bean for my yarn. They seem like just the right size and shape for it!

    9/10/2007 11:41 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I think it's funny your husband and your dad are driving cross-country. I had a slightly weird feeling when I attended a professional conference with my husband's dad. It was fine, just a bit surreal.

    9/10/2007 1:02 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Harrumph indeedy! I can't imagine being away from my hubby for 6 months! Way to look at the positives, though!

    9/10/2007 2:16 PM  
    Blogger Opal said...

    Yay! Grey's Anatomy! Season 3 is coming my way right now from Amazon. It's just the perfect show to knit to.

    9/11/2007 2:41 PM  
    Blogger Leah said...

    That scarf is on my to-do list. And I have one of those cute canvas bags too. It used to hold Jelly.

    Here's to a very swift six months. You better get to knitting!

    9/11/2007 8:07 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home