Monday, August 13, 2007

  • Main Page
  • No Socks for Me

    First things first, second things never.
    -Shirley Conran

    I don't think anything like this has ever happened before. I had no socks on the needles. Exactly zero pairs. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Not a one. Not even in the deepest darkest UFO pile.
    Monkeys, done. Jaywalkers, done (photo coming soon). Cablenet, frogged. And somehow I ended up at this dark lonely no-sock place. Even my plans to cast on for my Hogwarts Year 2 swap were stalled when I realized that my swapee has many allergies and the tweedy yarn I had planned would just not do.

    So I did what any knitter would do. I put off my studying, editing my paper, and even eating dinner until I sat down and ordered some new yarn for the Hogwarts Swap. After dinner my head was clearer and I realized that I had a stash yarn that would work perfectly for my pal, and cast on immediately.

    What a relief. It has never happened before. And it shouldn't happen since.

    Labels: ,

    12 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    I'm so glad you're OK! I would hate to think what could happen if you went too long without a sock!

    8/13/2007 4:24 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Whew, that was close! Must keep the sock count going! ;)

    8/13/2007 4:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maybe it's my fault. I usually have zero socks on the needles, or a half finished one tossed aside somewhere. Currently I have - gasp - 2 pairs in progress.

    8/13/2007 5:08 PM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    Yikes, what a crisis!! I would have been more than happy to send you one of my unfinished pairs. ;) Good thing you were able to rectify the problem before we all started sending you half knit socks. LOL

    8/13/2007 5:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, thank goodness you've righted that wrong! ;) I know what you mean though- I recently felt something was missing from my life and I determined it was that I wasn't working on any socks. It's all good now. ;)

    8/13/2007 5:52 PM  
    Blogger Hege said...

    A close call, very scary! But you managed! :)

    8/13/2007 6:01 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Whew, the universe can return to its natural order!

    8/13/2007 9:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    whew! Glad the crisis was averted!

    8/13/2007 10:26 PM  
    Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

    So relieved that you are no longer in the Dark Place...

    8/14/2007 5:19 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Glad you didn't have to wait for the yarn to be delivered. Don't know if you could have made it that long.

    8/14/2007 5:58 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was in the no sock place for a while and then somehow 3 socks got started (of you don't count the mateless Pomatomus--which I am just sort of couting for a loss right now). Crisis averted.

    8/15/2007 1:40 PM  
    Blogger AllyB said...

    Greetings fellow Dish Rag Tagger and sock obsessed knitter. Found your blog looking for the Knitting Cook...hmmm, love your blog btw. I am actually working on a pair of Monkeys right now. I'm amazed you quoted Shirley Conran, she is somehow related to me (Conran being my maiden name) and I've never seen her quoted anywhere before. Nice to meet you, good luck to your Tag team, nyah! ha ha ha

    8/17/2007 10:28 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home