Friday, August 10, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Surf's Up On The 101

    All well-regulated families set apart an hour every morning for tea and bread and butter.
    -Joseph Addison

    If you can at all manage it, I recommend marrying into a crafty family. My sister-in-law has been visiting, which coincided nicely with my Friday off (prior to a Saturday call). That husband o' mine had to work, so we took ourselves up the 1010 to Encinitas for a little yarn shopping. I've posted before my thoughts on the two yarn shops up there, but you have to admit that any yarn stores are better than no yarn stores. For all the hours we spent browsing, our purchases were rather restrained. Scarf Style for her, and a single skein of a fingering weight alpaca-silk blend for me. I've been admiring the Vintage Beaded Gloves from Handknit Holidays for too long. San Diego weather or no, it's just time to make them.

    The other side benefit to a yarn expedition with a woman who lives in Calgary, is that I got to discover just how much she likes mittens. She's even promised to be suprised when one of these appears in her Christmas package.

    Labels:

    5 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love Encinitas - my sister used to live there. This was before I became a knitter so I don't know about the yarn stores. Can't wait to see your Vintage Beaded Gloves. Gorgeous yarn color!

    8/11/2007 6:23 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    Hey there! Sorry I never got back to your comment about our knitting group, but I had a crazy week. We haven't gotten together at all this summer, but we're hoping to meet more regularly in the fall. We'll keep you informed.

    8/12/2007 9:21 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I love love love that Alpaca with a Twist Fino. I made an Icarus shawl with it, and it is just buttery and beautiful. But personally, I'd call it a stretch it call it a fingering weight. I considered it a laceweight, but then again, you are the lace afficionado...just MHO.

    8/12/2007 5:54 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Another good reason to marry into a crafty family is that you know your husband has grown up around people just like you and will consider what you do (and what you spend money on) perfectly normal behavior.

    8/13/2007 7:37 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Cool! It's always nice to have surreptitiously discovered the perfect gift. (Speaking of which, don't you have a birthday coming up? Any hints?)

    8/13/2007 4:56 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home