Friday, January 04, 2008

  • Main Page
  • January is for Mittens

    Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.
    -Leonardo Da Vinci

    January is for many things - you've already seen my Manos Throw, Salt Lake City sweater (more coming on this soon), and my new Bearfoot socks as a promising start to a new year of knitting. I've also bought into the premise of A Loose Knit Group (Yahoo/Ravelry), attempting to knit ahead for the holidays. There's a theme to every month, and this month it's mittens and gloves. How handy that I'm currently in the middle of a mitten-fest! The first pair of mittens was actually started even before I heard about the group.

    You may recall the complaints of my poor husband who doesn't have enough handknits (or so he says) when I ripped out the Baltic Mittens he'd claimed. I promised him another pair, and sent him a long list of links for his perusal. His choice actually surprised me a bit. Turns out that he's a traditionalist. (Which I suppose makes sense given his interest in Dale sweaters . . . This could be very good.) Turns out I have a lot to learn to knit for tall people. It's a good thing he was around to try them on as I went, because I was seriously underestimating how much larger his hands are than mine. So seriously, I had to re-do one of the cuffs. But it worked - do you see how happy the recipient is?
    Sedestal Mittens
    Pattern: from Folk Mittens
    Yarn: Cascade 220 - 1.25 skeins of the green and approx 0.2 skeins of the natural (most, but not all, of the leftovers from the Hallard Mittens
    Needles: US 2 dpns
    Notes: I made several modifications, all for size. I knit on US2s at a gauge of approx 7 sts/in instead of the 9 sts/in called for. This gave me the hand circumference I needed with the 80 pattern stitches. The pattern, however, makes almost no allowance for the cuff to be smaller than the hands, which didn't make sense to me. So I cut out one pattern repeat of the snowflakes and started with 70 sts and then increased for the hand. If I were to make any other mods, it would be to recongize that my row gauge changed as well, and I would have started the thumb gore a little earlier.
    Best Thing About This Project: This photo - I love these mittens, but I'm not sure they qualify for my Loose Knit givne how quickly they were snatched away. So I started another pair I'd had my eye on, and am contemplating a third. Coming soon, with photos, something far less traditional. You'll love it; I promise.

    Labels: , , ,

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Karen said...

    Fabulous mittens. And you are right, the grin on his face says it all!

    1/04/2008 2:25 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    You are so lucky to have a "traditionalist" - mine won't wear anything with anything resembling a pattern. Makes for very boring knitting. The mittens are beautiful!

    1/04/2008 2:43 PM  
    Blogger Lori said...

    He really loves those mittens! (And I can see why - they're great!)

    1/04/2008 4:22 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great picture. Are his hands really that big? Is he a surgeon?

    1/04/2008 6:09 PM  
    Blogger ikkinlala said...

    Such pretty mittens! And he looks so happy with them, too!

    1/04/2008 11:13 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, something about this picture...don't kill me for saying so, but it proves that you really married your dad!! I don't know why, but that big beaming smile reads Dr.R to me. Well, they always say you marry your dad or you marry the opposite of your dad (I think it's pretty clear which course each of us chose).

    That's your nonsequitor of the week

    1/04/2008 11:20 PM  
    Blogger Pat said...

    Yes - January IS for mittens! I just started another pair...
    I LOVE your Sedestal Mittens - I mean your husband's mittens! He picked out a beautiful pattern and you knit them up to perfection!

    1/05/2008 8:02 AM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    That book is the BEST KNITTING BOOK EVER. It's like a walk through all the important techniques. I've made so many mittens from it, including the Sedestals, and let me say that you must have wrists of steel to be able to whip out those mitts without cramping! Worsted weight yarn on itty bitty needles makes wonderful knits but sore knitters! They came out so well! I hope he gets lots of wear out of them!

    1/05/2008 8:22 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    He does look like he's not just being nice to you! Those are some nice traditional looking mittens too.

    1/06/2008 2:28 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Those look great, and the recipient reaction really is the best part.

    I may have to check out that Ravelry group. I was contemplating starting to stock up for presents next year.

    1/07/2008 9:07 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home