Wednesday, December 05, 2007

  • Main Page
  • A Decision Point

    He had mittens, Minjekawan,
    Magic mittens made of deer skin;
    When upon his hands he wore them,
    He could smite the rocks asunder,
    He could grind them into powder.
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

    I started the Baltic Mittens (from Folk Mittens) a while back. It was an impulse project, so I started with yarn I had on hand. It's a beautiful pattern, and fun, but I just wasn't feeling so inspired to work on it. And then I figured out - It's the colors. Too . . . something. So this is getting frogged until I get some blue Heilo. It just really needs a blue. But my husband is still demanding mittens. Any nice manly mitten patterns come to mind?

    Labels: ,

    6 Comments:

    Blogger nova said...

    What about Elli's new Herringbone mitten pattern? I think by tailoring your color combination and perhaps eliminating the pom (unless you husband likes pom, I don't know, mine is not a fan) you could produce a very nice mitten for the main man in your life. My $ .02.

    12/05/2007 11:44 AM  
    Blogger Liz C. said...

    I know the skull thing is maybe sort of over, but I still love them! Hello Yarn's "We Call Them Pirates" mittens are wonderful, and I gave a pair to my husband's boss that he still wears to Vail every year.

    12/05/2007 11:59 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    These mittens must be for visits to his family, because they are much too warm for SoCal! ;) I will look around for a cool pattern.

    12/05/2007 12:36 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    Manly mittens - you might look at some of the Dale collections -- even if they don't have a mitten pattern, the color combos will be inspiring, and some, masculine. Maybe you could do something to match that new ski sweater you're going to knit him ;-)

    12/05/2007 6:57 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    What about the Manly Mitts from knitty - the one you recommended to Cora?

    12/05/2007 8:53 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Nope. No manly mitten suggestions here! I am going to knit one of those Folk Gloves one of these days but I think I will use a thinner yarn than Heilo.

    12/06/2007 7:57 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home