Sunday, December 16, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Thinking Ahead

    Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors,
    and let each new year find you a better man.
    -Benjamin Franklin

    I've always been a bit of a list-maker. I like to be organized. It's adaptive in my professional life, and helps me get the most out of my (little) off time. So lately I've been planning for some of the knitting coming up in 2008. Aided and abetted by Ravelry, I have lists. Lists of stash. Lists of future projects. Lists of needles. Plans for the upcoming year. Knitting resolutions must be the best kind, right? So there are several in the works.

    2008: A Year of Yarn
    Looking at my lists I've realized something. I have a number of yarns that I (almost) love too much to knit. Many of them I've had for a while. Many of them were gifts. They are all unique and special in some way.

    2008 is the year I'm going to knit them. I picked out the 12 shown here, and each month a yarn will get it's turn. (Yes, there's a list of this. Why do you ask?) Some have projects in mind; others are awaiting something perfect. But it's time to knit these yarns.

    I imagine this is a common situation among knitters. Any of you notice the same thing? Feel free to join me in my 2008: A Year of Yarn.

    Twelve Projects
    In addition to the 12 yarns, I've also picked out 12 projects that I've wanted to make for some time. I need, for example, a cabled pullover. Why do I never get around to it? (The Bed and Breakfast Pullover won the nomination, btw.) And there's that Dale sweater my husband wants.

    So this is a year when I'm planning to be a little more intentional about my knitting than before. More sweaters. Fewer, uh, whatevers. And why 12? One for each month, of course. A reasonable pace, given that I usually hit 4-5 FOs a month. This way two of my new projects will be spoken for and the rest can be more whimsically chosen. Discipline is freeing.

    Time Machine Tuesdays
    In addition to the new projects coming up, I want to revisit some old ones. I've been so enjoying the "Flash Our FOs" over at The Purly Gate this month. And while enjoying, it occurred to me just how much of my knitting was pre-blog. And it also occurred to me that it is incredibly useful to other knitters to check back with a project and see how it did. Did it stand the test of time? Did the yarn hold up? Did the button band ever lie flat after all? So on this here blog, starting, um, this Tuesday (no time like the present), I hereby declare a Time Machine Tuesday.

    Labels: , ,

    13 Comments:

    Blogger Elinor said...

    I envy you.

    12/16/2007 6:30 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Oooh. I love the lists. And the ideas. My tentative plan is to knit up some stash - oldest first! And try to knit more gifts so I'm not crazy this time of year! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labors!

    12/16/2007 8:19 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I know exactly what mean. I have some yarn that is so special (to me) that I have done nothing with it. It can't be used for just any old thing. But, unless I search for it, that just-right-for-it project will never come along. So, I may join you for a project or two.

    12/17/2007 5:47 AM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    What great ideas you have there!! Good for you for being so organized . . . and for knitting your "too good to knit" yarns. I have some of those too. ;)

    12/17/2007 6:58 AM  
    Blogger margene said...

    You've come up with some great ideas for 2008!

    12/17/2007 7:13 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Time Machine Tuesday- what a fun idea! I'll look forward to it. I'm sure it will provide much inspiration. :)

    12/17/2007 9:35 AM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    ooooh, a plan. Nothing like a good plan!

    12/17/2007 10:24 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love to make lists and plans. It's the follow through I lack.

    Time Machine Tuesday sounds like a great idea! That's the one thing that's lacking on a lot of the Ravelry projects - notes.

    12/17/2007 12:53 PM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    How would you feel if Time Machine Tuesdays or something like that caught on with multiple blogs. I was considering a similar thing, where I did "The Wear Report" on my socks and other knitted items to report on how the yarn held up.

    It really is a great idea, and you know, as the quote goddess, what they say about imitation...

    12/17/2007 1:16 PM  
    Blogger Turtle said...

    you will feel so good after you start knitting your 12! I have taken the month of december off and tackled so many projects and knit "things" from my want to knit list. It is not only making a dent in my yarn stash but is leaving room to put new want to knit someday items on the list.

    12/17/2007 3:28 PM  
    Blogger Rachel said...

    I agree: discipline is freeing. (That's not straight out of Orwell's 1984, is it?) Plans are invigorating. Your sound great!

    12/17/2007 3:28 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, 4-5 FO's a month! I obviously don't spend nearly enough time knitting. I am excited to watch you progress through your plans.

    12/18/2007 8:41 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Yes, I KNOW how wonderful those lists are as opposed to sporatic knitting....heehee...my list is keeping me on track!

    I really like that Bed and Breakfast Aran and off to try and find that magazine....I may join you!

    12/18/2007 4:57 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home