Sunday, December 09, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Loving the Frog Pond

    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that
    but simply growth. We are happy when we are growing.

    -William Butler Yeats

    There are good things about a nice weekend jaunt to the frog pond. To keep up with the UFO Resurrection (I've now completed all 12 months!) and work on that Clean Slate in 2008, a couple of projects got re-evaluated. My Lizard Ridge afghan turned into a pillow, and a pile of Cotton Kureyon. After I saw this amazing Lizard Ridge, I realized that I wanted to make one more like that and less like these bright colors. Prosperous Plum is also no more. And this is more than just a little trip to the frog pond in this case. You may have realized that lately I've been knitting mittens, fair isle hats, and planning Norwegian ski sweaters. Yup, I've pretty much given up on knitting summer things for San Diego. I don't enjoy knitting them, I never wear them. I'm just going to knit what I want to knit and wait to move to a colder climate. Or send them to my sister-in-law in Calgary. (Hi!) She may get more knits than she bargained for. But you can never have too many mittens, can you?

    Speaking of knitting what I want to knit, look what I finally got:
    The yarn for the Dale of Norway Salt Lake City Sweater. And patterns for many more. After I make Salt Lake City for my husband, I'm going to make Park City for me. Nothing like a little ambition, right?

    Labels: , , ,

    11 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There is no such thing as too many mittens for the sister-in-law in Calgary! Knitted anything is greatly appreciated in the great white north. :)

    12/09/2007 10:45 AM  
    Blogger Karen said...

    Good for you!! Sometimes a little dip in the frog pond feels great. :)

    12/09/2007 10:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I FULLY endorse the moving to a colder climate theory. How else are the hypothetical future children going to get any wear out of their sure-to-be gorgeous knit garments? (and how else will they spend time with their hypothetical future pseudo-cousins?)

    12/09/2007 1:49 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    I was just wondering yesterday how your Lizard Ridge afghan was coming along thinking I wanted to start one. The pillows are nice though and I do like the colors of the one you linked to...... you are going to feel so fabulous when your slate is clean!

    12/09/2007 1:55 PM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    The pillows are a great idea. I take it the colors go with your furniture, since you wanted to make it an afghan? I need to think of things like this for my left over yarns.

    12/09/2007 3:04 PM  
    Blogger Laritza said...

    Oh! I have the SLC sweater in the queue! I am waiting for the contrast yarns to come in. But I am not going to use the specified yarn...:D
    I am going to see if I can get away with something more affordable. At the speed I knit I need to watch it! Where did you get all those patterns? I am having a hard time finding them.

    12/09/2007 3:45 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    The pillows were a good way to finish up the project without completely abandoning the work you put into it. They look great! I'm embracing my warm climate, but have handknits on the ready, just in case.

    12/10/2007 5:48 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The pillows turned out great! Mittens, hats, and sweaters are fun, but perhaps you will eventually grow to love the SoCal climate and lifestyle? We can hope, right? ;)

    12/10/2007 8:30 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with you, knit what you want to knit! I find the enjoyment often comes from the project itself not necessary in the wearing.

    12/10/2007 11:09 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Those are great pillows! I say, knit what makes you happy- our wintery knits are great!

    12/10/2007 5:24 PM  
    Blogger Carrie K said...

    Exactly. Knitting is for cold places, so I knit cold weather stuff and wait patiently for the global warming to kick off an ice age.

    12/15/2007 5:20 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home