Tuesday, December 18, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Time Machine Tuesdays

    College isn't the place to go for ideas.
    -Helen Keller

    Welcome to my first installment of Time Machine Tuesday!

    Now that it's "winter" in San Diego, I've actually had a chance to wear several of my favorite winter accessories. One does occasionally need a hat, scarf, and even mittens. It was 42 degrees this morning when I went to work. And even if one does not actually need a different hat, scarf, and mittens for every day of the week, well, a girl can enjoy her handknits, right?

    This hat, scarf, and mittens set remains one of my favorite things I've ever knit. Not because it's perfect, but because it was a real stretch of my knitting abilities at the time I knit it, and even with the mistakes I can see, I did a darn good job at the time. I remember sitting in the Starbucks in Wayland Square knitting this - I was writing my senior thesis, and I would reward myself with a chapter read or a page written by knitting a few rows. I wore it everywhere that winter, and for several winters after, including our wonderful "Spring Break" trip to Prince Edward Island. Wearing this set takes me back to college, which really was wonderful. In fact, college gets even better as the time goes and the stress I had then over papers and reading seems so trivial to the stress I have now as a doctor. But I digress.

    Celtic Lace Set
    Pattern: Amazing Twining Lace from Knitters' Best of Shawls and Scarves
    Yarn: Donegal Tweed, more than called for in the pattern, if I recall
    Needles: US7, maybe? dpns for the hat and mittens and straights for the scarf. I think these were the first pair of Brittany Birch needles I ever bought
    Notes: There's an interesting edging on the scarf to get to lie flat, and in retrospect it may be applied i-cord. My version? Not so much, but it does look interesting.
    Best Thing About This Project: The memories. But you guessed that already.

    Any one else joining in?

    Labels:

    8 Comments:

    Blogger JayJay said...

    What a neat idea! I don't really have much in the way of knitting projects from before my blog. In fact, most of my crafting pre-blog was given away, with no photographic evidence of my work. I guess I am really a process crafter afterall.

    12/18/2007 8:44 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Hee, hee. The Starbucks on Wayland Square. Now *I* remember when that was a vacant lot...

    12/18/2007 9:05 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The paper stress only seems trivial because it's in the past, says the graduate student in the last week of semester :(

    I remember and love that set. Wow, I forgot that you'd only been knitting a year or so when you made that. Your rapid progress was so impressive to watch.

    12/18/2007 10:09 AM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    I love this idea. I have to look around for some old knits, in fact I've just thought of one I could post next tuesday.
    My work is a lot like college - writing papers to a deadline. Same stress, I just get paid for it. This fact is worth being reminded of at least 10 times a day!
    When you lived in PVD was there a woman who organised craft (mainly knitting) meetups in Nov/Dec as a 'group support' thing to motivate people making their own gifts? She used to have a sign up in a cafe near my house. I never went along, but I still think of her signs every year and think 'I should do that.'

    12/18/2007 1:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great first installment! I love that set! I can see why it would be one of your favorites.

    12/18/2007 2:23 PM  
    Blogger Angelika said...

    Your set looks great, especially as one of your first knits. Even in San Diego you need a scarf once in a while.

    12/19/2007 2:47 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    This set is really pretty!

    My learning to knit and blogging pretty much coincided with each other, so I don't have anything to show that I haven't already blogged about. I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours though.

    12/19/2007 5:51 AM  
    Blogger RenĂ©e said...

    That was a neat trip, wasn't it? I was digging through a box of photos last night, looking for something else, when I found photos from PEI and college in general. Makes me nostalgic.

    12/19/2007 8:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home