Tuesday, January 08, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Resurrecting a Sweater

    Creativity is a high-falutin' word for the work I have to do between now and Tuesday.
    -Ray Kroc

    This is a most unexpected entry for me in the Time Machine Tuesday category. What? You forget what Time Machine Tuesday is? It's a chance to look back at mine, your, our handknits of ages past and see what's come of them. Resounding successes? Complete failures? Hardy yarn or pilling like crazy? How is it wearing (or not wearing)? What would you have done differently? And what are the great knitting acheivements you accomplished pre-blog? Show them off.

    Today's entry hardly qualifies as a great knitting acheivement, but it was pre-blog. In fact, until a couple of months ago, this sweater fell into the complete failure category. I never ever wore it. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.


    Comfy Gray Sweater, circa 2001-02

    Pattern: Gatsby, from an old IK
    Yarn: Tahki Dakota
    Needles: US 9, maybe?
    Notes: too many - see below
    Best Thing About This Project: Its resurrection.

    What are those too many notes, you ask? This sweater, from a knitting perspective, is still a pretty dismal failure. And it's actually the third sweater I knit out of this yarn over several months. So let's talk about a horrible combination of yarn and pattern, shall we? It's a nice fluffy yarn, and the varigations are much more subtle in person than in that flash photo. It's soft, although there's a halo that can be a little itchy. But it's just not a great yarn for this pattern, or any of the other patterns I tried. It's lofty and light, the exact opposite of the heavy, drapey Gatsby called for, and the sweater has a tendency to pull up and out. The pattern calls for waist shaping near the midline, and it looks ridiculous in this yarn. And while the colors don't flash quite as much in real life, there is some unattractive pooling around the waist. Overall, just something I don't really want to wear in public. So I didn't. And I still don't.

    The saving grace of this sweater came some time in November when it turned chilly (hey - it gets into the 40s and sometimes even 30s at night!). I was at home, in my pajamas, and all my hooded sweatshirts seemed too bulky. So I reached into my chest of sweaters and pulled out this one. And it is the absolute perfect Gray Comfy Sweater. I now wear it almost daily over my pajamas (see how good it looks with pajamas?), which makes it the single item of knitwear I wear the most. Ironic, isn't it?

    Labels:

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Karen said...

    Funny how your worst sweater could end up being your perfect sweater. So glad the story had a happy ending!!

    1/08/2008 7:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have a sweater like that. It's a GIANT gap sweater than Toasty gave me when we were first dating to hide my walk-of-shaming. I wore it all the time when I was lounging around. I'm not sure where it is now, though.

    1/08/2008 8:41 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey, it serves its purpose and that shade of grey is very complementary! :-D

    1/08/2008 9:29 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is so ironic! But thankfully it's found it's calling. It would be so sad otherwise, all those stitches and time and sitting on the floor of your closet/folded in a drawer.

    1/08/2008 3:37 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Everyone needs something to wear on chilly nights with pajamas that can withstand hot cocoa stains. ;) How great that you were able to resurrect it!

    1/08/2008 4:25 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    A happy ending indeed. I like the idea of the time machine Tuesday. Now if I could just get my act together.

    1/08/2008 5:28 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love how the story of this sweater has turned around! Yay for your comfy sweater!

    1/08/2008 5:42 PM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    I'm so glad it eventually worked out for you! I hope to find some useful purpose for my losers someday too!

    It looks super cozy, and three cheers for you for posting pics of yourself in your PJs on the interwebs!

    ; )

    1/08/2008 8:20 PM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Everyone needs a pajama sweater. I have one. It may not beautiful, but it's functional. Sometimes that's enough.

    1/09/2008 6:13 AM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    happy irony indeed!

    1/09/2008 6:49 PM  
    Anonymous Chee Hao said...

    Thanks for tthe post

    9/18/2023 1:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home