Wednesday, January 16, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Sleeves are the New Socks

    Stretch your arm no further than your sleeve.
    -French Proverb

    If brown is the new black and pink is the new brown, I declare that, for 2008, sleeves are the new socks. Sleeves are the new go-to portable knitting projects. Sleeves are the new knitting-while-reading project. Sleeves are the only way that my somewhat ambitious knitting plans for 2008 are going to come to fruition.

    Exhibit A: One finished Salt Lake City sleeve
    Exhibit B: One half-finished Salt Lake City sleeve
    Exhibit C: all the time at home I did not spend knitting the plain stockinette portion of those two sleeves above

    There's always a portable project, right? There's always something in your purse, backpack, or pocket of your white coat for those found and opportune moments, like waiting in line, pumping gas, or going to noon conference. Traditionally, I knit socks during these times. They had all the qualities in question - small, lightweight, easily-memorized patterns for maximal not-looking-at-my-knitting. Turns out that the first 15 3/4" of the Salt Lake City sleeves fit all of these criteria. So instead of slogging through 15 3/4" of stockinette on US3s in the round during my perfectly good knitting time at home, I got it done here and there. So when I did get home, it was the fun color chart that awaited me. And I dove right in and had a blast.
    Now there's just that 15 3/4" of the plain stockinette body to do . . . Perfect plane knitting for my weekend trip to see my husband, and New Orleans.

    Labels: , , ,

    13 Comments:

    Blogger Laritza said...

    Same here, but my new socks are the endless stockinette of the body. About 2/3 done.

    1/16/2008 10:47 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hmmm, that might take some convincing, but the logic is perfect.

    Enjoy your weekend with the hubby! The girls and I are headed to Solvang this weekend :o)

    1/16/2008 11:08 AM  
    Blogger nova said...

    You know, I have never really thought of sleeves as portable knitting since I like to keep my projects all together; but, really, it's a great idea. And since I am kind of over socks right now, I will agree. Sleeves are so the new socks.

    1/16/2008 12:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As always, I am amazed by your productivity. And I have no doubts you will make your 2008 goals.

    1/16/2008 1:59 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    Sleeves! That's what I need! And I have short, stumpy arms too! Perfect!

    1/16/2008 2:07 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Great idea! Have fun in the Big Easy!

    1/16/2008 3:21 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You weren't kidding when you commented that it's all about the colorwork these days! Between your mittens and this sweater- you've got some great colorwork projects goin' on!

    1/16/2008 5:53 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Hmmm, maybe I should start a sweater? :) I need some mindless portable knitting. It's looking great by-the-way!

    1/17/2008 7:28 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Good thinking!

    1/17/2008 7:34 AM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    The slaves are beautiful!

    1/17/2008 10:51 AM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Yay! Weekend with husband sounds lovely! And the sleeves are gorgeous (pause. Think about the shawl you made me. Move on.)

    Happy vacation!

    1/18/2008 6:29 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Your Salt Lake is coming along beautifully! As for me, I'm glad to be finished with the colorwork on my baby Dale and can breeze through the stockinette.

    Have fun in New Orleans!

    1/18/2008 10:14 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And, like socks, for those with SSS (Second Sleeve Syndrome), two sleeves can be knit at once, in the round, by using one very long circular needle.

    1/19/2008 9:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home