Friday, January 18, 2008

  • Main Page
  • A Mile in My Shoes

    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

    -Jack Handey

    That was easy. This whole Knit-A-Mile challenge over at A Loose Knit Group. Done. Nearly a month early.

    Usually I track my yardage by project completed, rather than by keeping a running tally of what I've been knitting, but this challenge inspired me to take a look at the skein-by-skein count, including what I've knit on Salt Lake City so far. (It still does not actually get erased from my stash until the project is complete.)

    By the way, I got a phone call from my dad the other day telling me that my OCD tendencies are really coming out in my yarn stash spreadsheet. Hmmm . . .

    Anyway, turns out that a mile is only 1760 yards. And this all adds up:
    • Target Wave Mittens - 190 yards
    • Very Cabley Mittens - 190y
    • Salt Lake City in progress - 4 skeins @109y = 431y
    • Manos Four Seasons Throw in progress - 5 skeins #138y = 690y
    • Wacky Selbu Mittens - 2 skeins @ 110y + 1/2 @ 210y = 325y
    • That's 1826 yards (over a mile) and doesn't count some stealth projects in progress that I didn't bother to count
    This is overall, good news for the stash, although a few skeins of sport weight are accompanying my copy of Selbuvotter, which is finally on its way to me. January is just a great month for mittens, isn't it?

    Labels: ,

    5 Comments:

    Blogger nova said...

    Who is the speediest knitter in the west? I think it's you. Those are some pretty good numbers. my knitting slowness can not compare. I hang my head in shame.

    1/18/2008 5:28 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, I am so impressed! I also think many of us have OCD tendencies, but as long as it doesn't disrupt everyday life you shouldn't worry about it (and I'm a psychologist ;)

    1/18/2008 9:19 AM  
    Blogger Linda said...

    Yes, January is a great month for mittens. I just started my first project from Selbuvotter - annemor #12. Enjoy your project.

    1/18/2008 12:26 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Love those Selbu mittens...FUN colors!

    1/21/2008 9:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, that's impressive. I'm not even a quarter mile. But awesome mittens! And yes, it's perfect mitten weather. Good thing there are so many patterns....

    1/22/2008 5:11 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home