Monday, February 04, 2008

  • Main Page
  • The Cruelest Month

    April is the cruelest month.
    -T.S. Eliot

    T.S. Eliot must have never seen February. You know it's bad when you're at the hospital and your friends page you to wonder why you haven't blogged. (Hi Jen!) Reason #1 is that I'm back on the Internal Medicine wards, which means a lot of long hours. Reason #2 is that I've somehow developed a crazy corneal problem and it's interfering with my visual acuity. Especially computers. Hence, my relative lack of blogging. I just saw Optho again today, and we might be finally making some progress.

    The good news about knitting as a hobby is that, with the exception of some colorwork charts, it's relatively easy to do with blurry vision. So, let's do a little recap of all the knitting in January, and what's in store for this cruelest month.

    My official January project, Salt Lake City made much more progress in one month than I ever thought, especially with all the competition it had. I'm done both sleeves and nearly up to the colorwork on the body.

    My January Yarn of the Month knit into Bearfoot socks, are making progress, about 1/2 done with the 1st sock. That's ok by me -they'll get done when I run out of sweater sleeves to carry around. And I'm totally in love with the yarn. So much so that I might have said I'd join a KAL for the Sweedish Heart-Warmer Shawl from Handknit Holidays. Egads!

    And that other goal - stash reduction - is still on track:

    Stash Tally
    Skeins: 586.75
    Yards: 117,198

    Net negative:
    Skeins: 15.5
    Yards: 1,687

    I knit more than this course, having finished my mile of yarn easily, but some of that is on projects still in progress with their yarn still listed as stash. And then there's a modest amount of stash acquisition, some as gifts, some Socks That Rock, and some Telemark, half of which has already been knit. So far, so good.

    New Projects for February are coming up. I've started Gerbera from an old Dale of Norway book in discontinued Sisik (some of the oldest yarn in my stash!) for my February Project - I'm on a Dale kick, and working with it. As for my yarn of the month, I'm using a lovely wool-silk blend that was a very special gift to make a Clapotis. Having fun already. Photos to follow.
    New February Yarn of the Month

    Labels: , , ,

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Kristen said...

    Yes, work with the Dale kick. Dale yarns and patterns are wonderful. Hope the eye situation clears up soon (pun sort of intended.)

    2/05/2008 3:06 AM  
    Blogger Donna said...

    I love how absolutely nothing stops the knitting; "knit on with confidence through all crises", indeed! I hope your eyes keep improving - good luck!

    2/05/2008 6:28 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I'm on an Aran kick right now, but after that I think I feel a Dale kick coming on. If the Yarn Harlot does the Knitting Olympics again, I might just work on a Dale sweater for me!

    2/05/2008 7:17 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Your Dale is coming along MUCH faster than my Baby Yoke Dale!
    And it looks pretty good considering you are having corneal problems. Hope you get it resolved, soon!

    P.S. My stitch markers sometimes snag but I close them up pretty tight.....answering your question on my blog....

    2/06/2008 8:34 AM  
    Blogger nova said...

    I am on something of a Lopi kick right now. I hope your eyes feel better soon.

    2/06/2008 11:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Best of luck with the corneas. I knitted my way through an attack of Optic Neuritis nine years ago. I saw white spots off and on so I picked a beautiful blue Italian yarn with white flecks. The sweater came out perfectly and knitting really is very helpful in a health crisis. I never could stand to wear it after I regained my health, so maybe knit a gift project for a (very) distant friend or relative.

    Get well soon!

    2/07/2008 12:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home