Saturday, February 09, 2008

  • Main Page
  • A Bird in the Hand

    It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.
    -Aesop

    I actually finished these a while ago, but it took nearly two weeks to be home at the same time as some sunlight. Too bad it's already looking like spring in San Diego . . .

    Bird in Hand Mittens
    Pattern: Kate Gilbert's incredibly well-written Bird in Hand
    Yarn: Cascade 220 - French Blue (aka Cobalt Heather) and Natural
    Needles: US 2 dpns - and they came out perfectly on gauge. I was a litlte worried about their length, but most of that is actually in the cuff. The thumbs and hands are perfect.
    Notes: No mods. Who could pass up a gorgeous braid?
    Best Thing About This Project: Maybe I say this too often, but these are definitely my favorite mittens.

    Mittens have completely captivated me this winter - so many choices, so many lovely patterns. I still have two pairs in the works, and nary a hat in sight. . . . in spite of the plaintive cries of my poor neglected husband who doesn't own a single handknit hat. Don't we all feel so sorry for him? He does.

    Labels: , ,

    16 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    He has a lifetime of marriage to get a handknit hat, it'll happen eventually. Since you're on a mitten kick, I'm tempted to ask you to test knit the mitten pattern I'm working on. you can see the left mitten on my blog currently.

    2/09/2008 10:11 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Very pretty! It's starting to look like spring here, which does slow down my mitten desires.
    Knit the poor boy a hat!

    2/09/2008 3:42 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Just a reminder - he married you. It is now safe to knit for him! Is there time for a surprise Valentine's Day hat?

    2/09/2008 5:36 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    I just downloaded that pattern last week and will be knitting it soon. Unfortunately, we won't see mild temperatures until May so I will get plenty of use from them.

    Which size did you knit? I am going with the small because I have small hands and I thought it would probably take a 2.0mm needle to get gauge but I haven't swatched yet.

    Your Bird in Hands look GREAT and yes, by all means, knit your sweetie a hat!

    2/09/2008 6:11 PM  
    Blogger Jocele said...

    It took me 4 years to make George a hat...and you've been tagged!

    2/09/2008 8:51 PM  
    Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

    They are so pretty in blue.

    2/09/2008 11:08 PM  
    Blogger Sandy said...

    Those are my favorite of the bird in hands I have seen! So beautiful!
    Poor hubby. Abused, really!
    :D

    2/10/2008 8:42 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lovely! When spring does arrive in San Diego, you could pack off some of those mittens on loan to your New England friends for the next two months. :)

    2/10/2008 2:29 PM  
    Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

    That is such an adorable pattern! I love the colors you chose for yours. So happy!

    2/10/2008 5:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your mittens are beautiful!

    2/10/2008 10:49 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, fantastic mittens! I'm sure you can whip up a hat for the hubby in no time, and since he is currently in a fairly warm climate it shouldn't be that much of a rush, right?

    2/11/2008 8:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    These are fantastic!

    2/11/2008 9:33 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So pretty...

    2/12/2008 12:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, the spousal abuse. Yeah, he has years. His time will come. And didn't you knit him the boyfriend sweater awhile back?

    Your mittens are so cute! Really needed them in CA this winter too for a change.

    2/17/2008 8:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, hat. Nary a handknit hat. Soon. Very soon. Maybe. ;)

    2/17/2008 8:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And creative congratulations.

    Ric
    Make a Difference!
    http://facaadiferenca.blogspot.com

    2/21/2008 6:39 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home