Monday, March 31, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Loose Knitting

    I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a part of hell will break loose -
    it'll be much harder to detect.
    -George Carlin

    I've been doing a much better job lately of knitting than I have of blogging, as I mentioned last time. In addition to flying along on my big projects, I've had a steady stream of small portable projects. (What? The Dale with 25 50-gram balls of wool is not so portable? Hmmm . . .) As part of my grand strategy to not get too distracted from those 25 balls of wool, I've been following along with the Loose Knit Group on Ravelry/Yahoo. Every month has a theme for gifts to make in (theoretical) preparation for the next holiday season. While I've made a few things for the gift basket, mostly I've just really enjoyed the theme aspect. Reorganizing my Ravelry queue, playing within the rules, well, you know me and themes . . . February was for hats. While I didn't go quite as crazy as January's mitten month, I did make a few. A suprise favorite was this easy ribbed hat. Fun, easy, and check out the nice way the ribs swirl into the decreases. This is just a lovely hat all around, and quite versatile for the gift basket.

    1/4 Ribbed Hat
    Pattern: Cashmere Ribbed Hat from FigKnits
    Yarn: Mountain Colors Weavers Wool Quarters in an unknown color
    Needles: KnitPicks Harmony circs, US7 - nice and smooth
    Notes: A perfect pattern. No mods.
    Best Thing About This Pattern: The perfect use for this yarn. Can I move into the Mountain Colors Studio?

    March was for socks. I very well may finish my 3rd pair for the month today before the witching hour, but I only have photos of one. This not-terribly-exciting pair was born out of necessity after one cold early-March day when I had to - gasp! - wear store-bought black socks with my uniform. It was truely awful.

    Another Pair of Uniform Socks
    Pattern:
    1x1 ribbed cuff, 3x1 ribbed body, with heel flap and regular toe
    Yarn: Black Sheep Wildfoote in black and accents in Blood Red
    Needles: US 1 dpns
    Notes: A speedy knit. This yarn crocks like crazy though, so watch out.
    Best Thing About This Project: That splash of color? Our little secret. Because these socks are 100% uniform-compliant.

    Coming soon . . . The return of Time Machine Tuesday (anyone else have some classic knits to share?), more socks, another hat, and the Dale Salt Lake City steaming towards the finish line.

    Labels: , , ,

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Ren said...

    i really like the yarn you used for the hat. yummy! : )

    3/31/2008 9:21 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I love the secret splashes of color! You non-conformist, you!

    3/31/2008 10:03 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The hat looks great and I love the red on the uniform socks!

    3/31/2008 3:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    T - off topic, but thought you'd like to know that you cousin just got accepted into Brown! (and also Cornell & UVa).

    Love, Aunt Jan -- can't wait to see you at the wedding!

    3/31/2008 4:24 PM  
    Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

    I love the rebel red color!

    4/07/2008 10:52 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home