Thursday, February 21, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Bonus Time

    It has been said that a Scotchman has not seen the world until he has seen Edinburgh; and I think that I may say that an American has not seen the United States until he as seen Mardi-Gras in New Orleans.
    - Mark Twain

    I had a great weekend. That I'm just getting around to blogging about it on Thursday should tell you something about my working week. But let's dwell instead on my Bonus Time weekend with my husband. He flew out for the long weekend - I got a whole 1 1/2 consecutive days off - and we went to Disneyland. It was truely the happiest place on earth on Sunday. A weekend like that goes far to boost a mood during a busy work week.

    Early on when J and I first started dating, we developed a term "Bonus Day" and "Bonus Time." We both had difficult schedules, each working 6 days a week and rarely having that same day off. Everytime we both had that same day off, we called it a bonus day. And a half day, or an unexpected evening, bonus time. Now that we're geo bachelors (a military term for "geographical bachelors," service members separated from their spouses by geography), it's all Bonus Time. We still use the term, and it struck me recently as a little odd that it's remarkable, rather than routine, when I get to see my husband. Even before he had to go to Florida, a weeknight together was a bonus time. There's no doubt that we're jealous of all the couples who get to see each other every night, have dinner together, and even get a whole, regular weekend off. But it's struck me recently that it is not a terrible thing that time spent with my husband is a bonus. That we value it. And never take it for granted. In fact, I think that's actually a pretty good thing, in fact. (Plus, he'll be coming home pretty soon!)

    On that note, the photos from Disneyland are still locked inside his camera in Pensacola. So, instead, we'll move onto the Time Machine Tuesday Thursday component of our blog. Several weeks ago, I promised to show photos of The Scarf That Took On New Orleans. On a prior Bonus Weekend, we went over to New Orleans for a great weekend away. It was cold, but I was packing light. Ene's Scarf was just the thing.

    Ene's Scarf, circa 2005
    Pattern: by Nancy Bush, in Scarf Style
    Yarn: School Products hand-dyed cashmere, approx fingering weight
    Needles: unsure
    Wearing Notes: This very well may be the knit I wear most. It's a triangular shawl, but it's thin and drapey so I often wear it as a scarf. It goes with my fleece (see above), and also my fancy white wool coat. It keeps my shoulders warm in a cold restaurant. And it's held up to it's once or twice a season washings.
    Best Thing About This Project: I was knitting it on a trip to Seattle when I found out that I'd matched in San Diego for residency. I had no idea I'd be wearing it on a weekend trip with my husband two years later. Gosh, that was lucky!

    Labels: , ,

    8 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's not the same as being a "geo bachelor," but as a full-time grad student with a working husband, I can relate to the schedules that don't work out. I can't remember the last time Toasty and I went to bed at the same time, as he's got to get up early for work and I'm usually reading some 18th century novel until 2 am. As for weekends, it's frustrating when the lazy day on the couch turns into him being lazy and me heading off to the library. So don't despair, even we in "live together" marriages don't get all the time together we'd want.

    2/21/2008 8:17 PM  
    Blogger Kristen said...

    It is easy to take for granted someone you see all the time. Your time together must be all the sweeter for its rarity.

    2/22/2008 3:29 AM  
    Blogger nova said...

    Ene is, indeed, one lucky knit. I am glad you got some "bonus time!"

    2/22/2008 7:01 AM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    You are such sweet newlyweds. Your love just shines through in these posts.

    2/22/2008 7:17 AM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    I like that term "bonus time". I think those of us who have our spouses around all of the time need to cultivate that as well. Hubby and I have been married 35 years and I still treasure "bonus time" when we get to go out and just spend time together - just the two of us. Here's to the Navy cooperating and bringing your hubby home soon.

    2/22/2008 7:53 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh how I love Disneyland! I'm glad you two got to spend some fun time together!

    2/22/2008 10:54 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    Kristen said, "It is easy to take for granted someone you see all the time. Your time together must be all the sweeter for its rarity."

    I agree! What a bummer that you don't get to see each other more often (at the moment).

    And yet... how do I keep the romance in my relationship alive when so much of the time we spend together seems to involve CLEANING and watching WATCHING CNN?

    2/23/2008 9:20 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    It's great that you have such a positive attitude about your situation, and I do think it's a lesson to all of us to appreciate those we love whenever we can spend time with them.

    Love the scarf! I'm glad you enjoyed Disneyland. They're our neighbors afterall. :)

    2/23/2008 9:38 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home