Wednesday, April 23, 2008

  • Main Page
  • A Sleeve Conundrum

    I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms
    from the statues that are in all the other museums.
    -Stephen Wright

    Some of you with long memories may remember a distant time last month when I was on the cusp of finishing not one, but two Dale of Norway sweaters. I put up a bad dimly lit photo of a blocking sweater, mentioned in passing that the sleeves were too long, and that seemed to be the end of that.

    Well, it wasn't really. I thought long and hard about my options for fixing this sweater:

    1. Cut and rip and graft in any manner of ways to make the sleeves shorter.
    2. Find someone with longer arms.

    I went with option #2. It was obvious, really. I love the sweater. It's a cute, versatile kind of pullover that I'd been meaning to make for a while. And it was a great fun knit. But the gray kind of washed me out, I wanted to start a new project rather than rip and graft a lace pattern, and - this is the part that really made up my mind - I could think of a perfect recipient.

    Meet my sister-in-law. She's very nice, a new knitter, an even newer blogger (you can check that out here and leave encouraging comments - remember your first blogging days? But please ignore the worst-ever photo of me in the world. Thank you.), and - best yet - she's a couple of inches taller than me. With the required longer arms (see below for confirmation). Plus, it just looks better on her than it did on me.

    Gerbera
    Pattern: From Dale of Norway Book 121 (now OOP)
    Yarn: Dale of Norway Sisik (now discontinued)
    Needles: US 5 and 6
    Notes: I blocked the body before deciding how long it should be (important in a lace project) and neglected to do the same with the sleeves.
    Best Thing About This Project: Getting to give it in person. And check out that wingspan!

    Labels: , ,

    9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think you made the right choice, it looks really nice on her. (and I love the pillow she made you guys)

    4/23/2008 12:01 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's fantastic! What a great gift to give her.

    4/23/2008 12:49 PM  
    Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

    What an awesome sweater! Glad you had a fellow knitter (and sister) to gift it to.

    4/23/2008 1:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ah,ha--sister in law! I was thinking two things. First, that the sleeves really aren't too long. And second, that really doesn't look like you.

    4/23/2008 1:47 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    How generous of you! She looks great in it.

    4/23/2008 5:33 PM  
    Blogger Liz K. said...

    If I wasn't totally convinced that you had married your perfect spouse, I would totally encourage you to marry one of my brothers if I could score a sweater like that, just based on my arm length! It is amazing, and quite generous. As a knitter, she must really appreciate it!

    4/23/2008 6:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A truly generous gift to a very appreciative receipient--I know this, because I was there!! What a fantastic weekend it was, all the way around!
    M-I-L in WI.

    4/24/2008 4:54 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Good idea. It looks great on her.

    4/24/2008 5:48 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    And, she is no doubt living in a cooler climate to wear it in. It really is a pretty sweater and one that I have long admired! I'm sure your new SIL will really appreciate it.

    5/06/2008 7:23 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home