Wednesday, April 30, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Decisions, Decisions

    It is our choices that show what we truly are,
    far more than our abilities.
    -J.K. Rowling

    As you know, 2008 is my personal Year of Yarn. It's the year I'm knitting the yarn that is too precious to knit, the gifts, the special yarns, the ones that - for whatever reason - I never get to. (And the April yarn was so delightful that the project is finished - photos coming soon!)

    Looking ahead, I'm a bit flummoxed with the yarn I have set aside for May. (Actually, I had it set aside for March, but then I couldn't decide what to do, so I changed it all around.)
    This is a fingering-to-sportweight alpaca in 2 natural colors - a nice off-white and a rich brown. I believe there is about 4 (or is it 8?) oz of each, so approximately 600-800 yards total? I've had it for a while now, maybe 4 or 5 years, and I met the alpacas on the farm from which they came. I got it as a relatively young knitter and wanted to make something special out of it, but now I can't commit to a project. I'm hoping you can help.

    Here are some broad categories I've been thinking of so far. One of the limitations is that I'd like to use them together in a single project if I can.
    • Shawl - Shetland Triangle, or some other Evelyn Clark creation? Lovely, but I'm not feeling the lace vibe right now
    • Tank/Camisole - this was my original thought, but I'm not sure I have enough yarn, and I don't know how to combine the colors.
    • Two-color baby knit - This would have to be another saved for my future children.
    • Other two-color stuff - hats, mittens - pretty sure this wouldn't put much of a dent in it, although I have been on a stranded colorwork kick lately.
    • Capelet - not sure how much I would wear it, but I could see making something like Ann Budd's Grand Plan capelet (top down - good for unknown quanities of yarn), in the lace version, with the collar and lace panel and button bands one color and the yoke another color.
    • Toy - the teddy bear from the IK Holiday edition caught my eye. But is this a "good enough" use for this yarn?
    • Other thoughts?
    Any brilliant ideas? Otherwise, I'm just going to keep moving around my project list. My original plan for May involved a project that's no longer a good candidate for its yarn, so we're readjusting anyway.

    Labels:

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Liz K. said...

    Instead of a tank/camisole (maybe not best in super-warm alpaca) maybe a vest? A colorwork vest?

    Or my first thought, which was an entrelac stole, alternating the two colors?

    4/30/2008 6:10 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Baby knits, baby knits, baby knits!

    Do NOT make a capelet. I find them to be the most useless garments ever invented.

    4/30/2008 6:25 PM  
    Blogger Pam said...

    I'd either make a striped vest, or some mittens (like the anemoi mittens?) and a scarf to match, using the two colors (which work well) together. Alpaca is REALLY but nicely warm.

    It's a lot like the alpaca silk I used for my mom's mittens.

    4/30/2008 10:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I vote for the Chalina Rayada scarf from Andean Folk Knits. If you're on Ravelry, here's the link:

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chalina-rayada-striped-muffler

    5/01/2008 1:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My original thought was for teddy bears. But then why not do some crazy fair isle thing and make a big comfy pillow? I saw one in a debbie bliss for babies book. You can make a big square front and sew on a backing or make a square pouch and put a regular pillow inside. Might be nice to do a non-garment and switch it up!
    I usually read your blog form my phone and can't add comments for some reason, I wanted to say congrats on the wedding all your projects have been awesome.
    Best of luck.

    5/01/2008 4:51 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Do you wear scarves? That's what I was thinking. I recently made a two color one, that I really like.

    5/01/2008 5:52 AM  
    Blogger Lori said...

    If you have 8 ounces of each, you've got enough for a vest or even a sweater! I'd guess you have 8 ounces total or you'd know you've got a boat load of yarn :)
    Since it's alpaca, I'd have to vote against the camisole idea - especially if you strand it you'll roast! I'm not sure about the shawl - 't'would be very stripy... Mittens and a matching hat or scarf might be very nice. And if you were to make a stranded pillow it would get less wear and last longer and oh how very soft it would be!
    I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

    5/01/2008 6:07 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    variation on the capelet idea, but how about a shrug of some sort? i have a few (unfortunately none of them handmade) but i wear them all the time over tank tops and sundresses... my favorite one by far is a lace cashmere that i covet. perfect showing a little less skin or a breezy san diego night...

    5/01/2008 6:47 AM  
    Blogger Donna said...

    Latvian colorwork mittens would be my first instinct, but they're pretty impractical for San Diego. I also like the vest idea!

    5/01/2008 7:52 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    I actually like the idea of the teddy bear. I believe that it would definitely be good enough because it is something you'll have for years and years and even pass on to your children.

    5/01/2008 8:31 AM  
    Blogger Valerie said...

    Ooh, a shrug - great idea from ginger. currently i'm making the 2-tone shrug from Fitted Knits. Easy! http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://rogue2408.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/twotoneshrug.jpg&imgrefurl=http://rogue2408.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/sweet-dreams-are-made-of-these/&h=318&w=212&sz=25&hl=en&start=41&um=1&tbnid=BvuNLMsCY6oifM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=79&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfitted%2Bknits%26start%3D36%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

    5/01/2008 8:40 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm envisioning a cute baby sweater of some kind. Which option are you leaning towards?

    5/01/2008 9:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My top two choices are a baby sweater and a teddy bear. However I think it would be lovely as Butterfly from Rowan with the dark brown as the body and the off white for the pretty edgings. It can't be any worse for heat than the mohair in the original. ;-) And around here you could wear in the "winter" under a simple jacket and it would rock!

    5/01/2008 9:56 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I vote for a beautiful heirloom teddy bear or baby sweater, but I've got babies on the brain. ;)

    5/02/2008 3:13 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home