Thursday, June 19, 2008

  • Main Page
  • Bagging It

    Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier 'n puttin' it back in.
    -Will Rogers

    Way back in a month called April, the Loose Knit Group (Ravelry link) made bags the gift-knitting theme of the month. Bags? I thought incredulously? Yes, bags. I was originally not at all interested. Until I persued that other greatest invention of mankind, my Ravelry queue. Where I found at least 6 or 7 bag patterns awaiting my attention. Oh, I admit it wasn't an earth-shattering revelation, but it did provide some nice easy distraction knitting while working on several larger projects, such as a wedding. Not to mention the handy amounts of yarn called for, which were a stash-busting boon in at least one case.


    First I started with the market bag concept. The Saturday Market Bag is the classic and was a natural starting point, but I found Elisa's Nest Tote to be much nicer looking, and probably more practical as well.

    Elisa's Nest Note
    Pattern:
    free, from the PurlBee
    Yarn: a single 100g skein of King Tut Egyptian Cotton with very little leftover
    Needles: US 9
    Notes: Love the attached i-cord handles. Also, don't modify these to do them in the round. The side seams really help stablize them and make the stretching more reasonable.
    Best Thing About This Project: Both of these are likely to make it as gifts, since brining your own bag is hip these days, but the mercernized cotton is so much nicer. Definitely recommend it.


    The Saturday Market Bag
    Pattern: from Magknits, prior to that demise. Anyone know if it's available elsewhere?
    Yarn: some *bright* yellow kitchen cotton, 2 50g balls
    Needles: US 10 - much smaller than the pattern called for, and probably still too big
    Notes: I made the bag and the straps significantly shorter than called for in the pattern, and it still stretches quite a bit
    Best Thing About This Project: It's farmer's market and grocery store ready.


    Since the bag thing was going so much better than expected, I then progressed on to actual purses. This is where, I confess, most of my bias against knit bags had been. Just a style thing. But I found a Ravelry link to a Paton's pattern, conveniently misread the pattern so that I thought it took only 1 100g ball of Paton's Classic Merino (it takes 2), and cast on from stash.

    Paton's Cabled Bag
    Pattern: free, Ravelry link here
    Yarn: Classic Merino in leaf green - 2 skeins. Which I noticed right around when the first one ran out. I can't tell a different in the dyelot. Yarn is used doubled throughout
    Needles: US 10 1/2
    Notes: No changes, although I find the doubled-yarn fabric stiff enough that I didn't line it.
    Best Thing About This Project: Have you ever seen a rectangle look this cute?



    And, speaking of bags, I found these in a closet-cleaning expedition. You may or may not remember the fun of The Amazing Lace, Summer 2006, that knitalong co-hosted by myself and the incomparable Rachel, but if you'd like a small project bag (good for socks), email me. I've found myself with many, and I'm happy to spread the wealth.

    Labels: ,

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Knitting Up North said...

    I totally want an "Amazing Lace" bag from you. I have a major bag fetish (just ask Mom). See you Saturday in sunny Phoenix. Love SC

    6/19/2008 1:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If you have more than one... I'd totally love one!
    I loved the Amazing Lace 2006.
    I loved it so much I talked my buddy into helping me build Seasons of Lace this year -- (with plans to repeat it).
    http://seasonsoflace.acolorfulyarn.com

    6/19/2008 6:23 PM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    Ah, The Amazing Lace was such great fun! I emailed you about a bag!

    6/19/2008 6:28 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    cute cabled bag! I like doing bags too & my current one in use the pucker purse gets comments quite often! Nothing like the details of a handmade bag.

    6/19/2008 6:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi T, The purse is GREAT! What a fantastic gift idea (HINT-HINT). I wish it was my birthday or something. Be on the look-out for recipes next week. Love, Mom

    6/19/2008 7:07 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    6/19/2008 9:46 PM  
    Blogger silverarrowknits said...

    Your bags look lovely! I am going to email you about a Summer of Lace bag. It will look far classier than the plastic bag I currently carry my "waiting for meetings to start" knitting.

    6/19/2008 9:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your market bag - I just sewed 5 reusable grocery bags and I feel so fancy going to the store with my batik bags!
    and your silk summer top back a few posts is gorgeous!!

    6/20/2008 11:56 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    Great looking bags!

    6/21/2008 8:01 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Saturday Market Bag is still available as a Ravelry download.

    Great looking bags!

    6/23/2008 4:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Super cute bags!!

    6/23/2008 3:59 PM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    I remember the Amazing Lace KAL. I think that is when I first started reading your blog!

    I've been itching to make some market bags myself. I saw a really cool one hanging in my local yarn shop but I like yours, too.

    6/23/2008 9:32 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Oh, I love the nest tote! I have some orange cotton that I should definitely use to make a market bag. No more plastic grocery bags for us! The cabled purse is also quite lovely. You are doing so well keeping to the Loose Knit Group!

    6/25/2008 9:07 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aww! Nostalgia! I still use my Amazing Lace tape measure -- and I finally finished giving them away just a few months ago (more or less at random).

    You know, I've never really made a bag, but I always pause at those stretchy market bag patterns. One of these years, for sure. And your purse is super high-fashion (like I'd know)!

    7/12/2008 5:52 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home