Monday, April 30, 2007

  • Main Page
  • That Time of the Month

    A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature.
    -Seneca

    Given that it's the last day of the month, I should probably share the new project of the month. I did start early, but the blogging? Somehow that fell behind.

    The concept, to bring up to speed those of you who may be newer readers of the blog, is that every month this year I pick a new project from a book that I own, but from which I've never knit anything. I call it My Book-a-Month Plan. And there are 13 months, because I have 13 four-week rotations in my intern year. The original idea was that I should either knit things from the books I own, or clear out the space. The book this month, however, I just bought last month, but that would get us to the second benefit of this plan.

    I'm trying to be a focused knitter these days, since The Chuppah is such a big project. But I can't only knit one thing, and I can't never cast on for something new. So this project is my one "out" each month, in addition to my Resurrected UFO and a couple of socks. So far, it's working well. And in the last two months, picking baby sweaters has kept me from getting too many new UFOs.

    For this month, Louisa Harding's Natural Knits for Babies and Moms is a wonderful treasury of adorable - and adaptable - patterns. And the one that caught my eye this month? The Adorable Chenille Cardigan is a) adorable and b) uses stash yarn. In the book, the cardigan is monochromic. But as I pulled out the basket with my treasured stash of Cotton Chenille, I saw these two colors sitting together. And I saw that the cardigan had a seed stitch bottom edge, collar, and button band. And I thought an off-white body with a maroon edging would be just perfect. And so far, so good. In fact, so far, so better. Because all it lacks now are two sleeves. And some up-to-date photos.

    Labels: , ,

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Alice Yu said...

    What a cool idea. I have so many books.... I really should do something similar!

    Love the seals on the beach. I have lots of aunts uncles etc living in San Diego, and La Jolla - they never told me about the seals!!! I'll have to go and visit! :)

    Alice

    5/01/2007 1:05 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Hope to do that next year but it will have to be a lace or sock book every two months! Are you laughing?

    Now, who is this lucky baby who is going to receive all these cute things you've been knitting?

    5/01/2007 3:55 AM  
    Blogger Rachel said...

    I'm knitting from this book right now! I've done the cute sweater with the cable up the front and I just finished the very basic striped pullover. I love the patterns -- classic and simple.

    Cute color combo!

    5/01/2007 6:21 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I love that book and have used several of the patterns from it. The chenille is going to make a wonderfully cuddly sweater.

    5/01/2007 6:23 AM  
    Blogger shireen said...

    am very interested to see the finished product! have to make a baby item soon and am looking for some sources of inspiration. knit on!

    5/01/2007 7:40 AM  
    Blogger WandaWoman said...

    That's a great idea. I didn't realize you were doing that. I'll have to attempt to do that with some of my books. Lord knows I've acquired so many. Actually using them would be unusual and different . . .

    5/01/2007 10:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think that books is good knitting fun. I got it months ago and still haven't knit anything from it. So obviously I think your book of the month plan a good one.

    5/01/2007 10:43 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love how you can stick to a plan!

    5/01/2007 12:46 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Very cute! I tried to follow your plan to complete some non-knitting UFOs (tackle one a month), but I pretty much fell off the wagon by the second month. You are so much better than me at keeping up with these things!

    Love the color combo on the sweater! I bet its nice and soft too.

    5/01/2007 12:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree, the book plan is a great idea!

    5/02/2007 3:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, cute! good idea, more than one color. More than one skein then too.

    Everytime I look at (all) my craft books, I think of this idea.

    (of course then I start to laugh a wee bit hysterically and vow to "think about it another day" but that's another story.

    5/04/2007 2:36 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home