Sunday, March 11, 2007

  • Main Page
  • The Good News Keeps On Coming

    When the first baby laughed for the first time,
    the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about,
    and that was the beginning of fairies.
    James Matthew Barrie

    The now-affianced beau has well and truely discovered the joy of handknit socks for himself. Seriously, I'm trying to get photos. But after a long night on call, the socks could use a little bath before being fit for public viewing.

    In the meantime, let's talk about other happy news. There's a new baby on the way in my circle of friends, and, without naming names, let's just say that inspires a lot of baby knitting books, baby knitting yarns, and even some actual baby knitting for a mom who insists on cotton only (allergies). Finally, a great use for my extensive CottonEase stash! After extensive searches through every baby knitting book in three bookstores, I picked up Debbie Bliss' Simply Baby, which is full of cute patterns that are simple enough even I am not bothered by the author's complete and utter refusal to ever use something as plebian as schematics. But I digress.

    So, the baby sweater. I started with this cute little gem called something creative like "Hooded Jacket" for several very good reasons:
    1. It was cute.
    2. It was portable - only one color, lots of stockinette.
    3. I had just the right amount of yarn in a great bright color, perfect for the anticipated baby in question. (And, actually, I'm sure I'll have enough for matching booties given the great yardage of CottonEase.)
    4. I could start right away.
    5. Who swatches for baby garments anyway?

    #4 may have been the most important reason, now that I think about it . . . But it makes great reading/studying knitting. It's constructed in pieces and then joined for a raglan yoke with a hood added. I could have made it even easier and converted it to the round, but that would have actually required some thought. It's easier to knit as written and they are only little seams. Nothing major.

    Above you see the back up to the armholes, and since taking that photo (on the beach chair again - this is great SoCal knitting!) I've finished both fronts also up to the armholes. A couple of sleeves, a yoke, a hood - something tells me picking the button could be the hardest part!

    In the interest of full disclosure, I also have Louisa Harding's Natural Knits for Babies and Moms on the way . . . Last month my Book-of-the-Month Project involved getting rid of two knitting books I thought I'd never use, and I actually got rid of three. So I figured I had some bonus points with the bookshelf . . . And I do have all that wonderful CottonEase in bright unisex baby colors!

    Labels:

    14 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooh, that's a super cute looking pattern. I'm always looking for simple and easy but adorable baby patterns for when I need to crank out a baby knit for someone I don't really feel like knitting a baby sweater for (I know, I'm a terrible person). Debbie Bliss is actually pretty good at those (though yes, WHAT is her issue with schematics?).

    3/11/2007 7:54 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Very cute! Perhaps you'll have to join the toy KAL and knit up some baby toys!

    3/11/2007 8:27 AM  
    Blogger Susie said...

    You will love Natural Knits for Babies and Moms. I have it, but haven't knit anything from it, YET. Our first grandchild is due Aug. 1st, so I'm knitting a lot of different things for "it." I plan to knit a nursing sweater for my daughter from that book, but the baby things must come first, of course! Sweaters won't be needed before October, I think, so I can knit that later.

    3/11/2007 9:20 AM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Oh my god, I figured out who the mom is. So excited!!!! You don't have to confirm or deny (though something in your post gave it away, if you want to know what so you can change it).

    When the time is right, PLEASE give her my congratulations.

    3/11/2007 10:07 AM  
    Blogger Leah said...

    So cute! I have some Cotton Ease in that very color which I plan to use to make a cami for my daughter. She's a bit beyond the baby stage!

    3/11/2007 10:16 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Gosh, I miss a few days of blog reading and see what happens! Congrats to you!!
    That baby sweater is adorable, too!

    3/11/2007 12:15 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I think I picked up the same give-away hint that Flit did in your post. If I'm right, I'm so excited! Is this baby going to be giving kosher Easter bunnies to her friends someday?

    3/11/2007 2:28 PM  
    Blogger Janet said...

    wow, that baby sweater is ADORABLE. my cousin just had a baby (the first in the "new" generation) so maybe I'll have to pick up that book!

    I love baby things (particularly how quickly they are finished)... and I sheepishly agree that I too don't stress about gauge when it comes to baby stuff!

    3/11/2007 3:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh yeah, more knitting books when you get rid of knitting books has something to do with karma and the balance of the universe. It's like natural law or something.

    Very cute sweater! (emily - ym)

    3/11/2007 9:23 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh that is so cute, I love tiny little tops!

    3/12/2007 10:36 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    I love knitting baby sweaters because the fit doesn't matter so much - most of mine are coming out bigger than the size intends. I so was thinking at the quote and the blog entry title that YOU were expecting!

    3/12/2007 12:15 PM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    I highly recommend Itty Bitty Hats for some fun baby knitting. :)

    Love that orange!

    3/12/2007 7:11 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay, baby knits! That hooded jacket is going to be adorable!!

    3/13/2007 10:36 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    I just gave the Itty Bitty Hats book to a friend, and it is really cute! Although, with your speed and skill it may be too simple. That sweater is totally cute! I just got some of the old cotton ease at a swap that I plan to use for a baby gift. Pretty and practical!

    3/14/2007 2:33 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home