Friday, March 09, 2007

  • Main Page
  • A Study in Contrasts

    I wish the world to possess the glorious fruits of my labor.
    -Giordano Bruno

    I was going to show you the beau's new handknit socks today, but he snuck off and wore them to work before I could get a good photo. At least he likes them . . . In the meantime, I'll show you my newest socks.

    New England Socks
    Pattern: New England Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road
    Yarn: Artyarns Ultramerino - very very soft, but rather poor yardage (I needed a full 2 skeins for my small (US 6.5, EU 37) feet, and very expensive because I would need 2 skeins for anyone else
    Needles: Clover Bamboo US 1 dpns
    Notes: I think I did fewer repeats than called for given my short feet. This is a delightful pattern that hardly took any time at all when I was actually working on it. . . and finally got done as my February 2007 UFO Resurrection.
    Best Thing About This Project: They may be inspired by New England, but the lace and soft wool are great for San Diego. Check out how they look lounging on my beach chair!

    I love this pattern. I want to be Nancy Bush when I come back in a future life. But I do have a slight issue with my Eye of Partridge heel. On the first half of the heel flap, the contrast between the knit and slipped stitches is pronounced, and it's all texturey - waffley. On the second half, it's basically flat. I'm sure it has something to do with the tension on the working yarn as I work across my dpns, but I can't seem to vary it enough to make a difference. Any ideas?

    And yes, they look great with my new ring. Everything does. Even the "dress scrubs" and "dress Timex" I wear to work!

    Labels:

    12 Comments:

    Blogger Leah said...

    My guess, which requires little thought, is that everything will go well with your new ring!

    Regardless, the socks are lovely!

    3/09/2007 12:34 PM  
    Blogger margene said...

    Diamonds on your socks and on your fingers, too...life is good out your way;-)

    3/09/2007 12:39 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Mmmmmmmmmm, beach chair......so jealous. The socks look great too!

    3/09/2007 2:57 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    When I got engaged, I'd just stare at the ring, catching sunlight in it, and smiling dumbly. I always thought it looked best in church in the light of the skylights, and I'm not even the religious one of us!

    3/09/2007 3:04 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    Yay, the beach chair!

    3/09/2007 3:16 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm. I didn't realize the Artyarns had such poor yardage. I have a pair of socks made out of it. It gets even softer and seems to be wearing extremely well, so at least it has that going for it.

    Your New England socks look great! Perhaps I should make some San Diego socks just to balance out the universe.

    3/09/2007 4:57 PM  
    Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

    Very cute! They look so comfortable, I love a sock without a ribbed cuff :)

    3/09/2007 6:28 PM  
    Blogger Marie said...

    Beautiful socks! I've been meaning to try the eye of the partridge heel since the texture looks so interesting. Honestly, I can't really tell a big difference in texture in the photos between the first half and second half of your heel flaps. :)
    Congrats on the engagement! Isn't fun examining the ring? I spent ages looking at mine from all angles. :)

    3/09/2007 9:20 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi,
    searching a picture for Dalarna Socks I've found your Blog. You knit beautiful socks and I linked your Blog via Bloglines, so I don't miss your wonderful designs.
    Greetings from Germany
    Heidi

    3/10/2007 1:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like those socks!

    And you know, that ring of yours really will complete any outfit, casual or dressy!

    3/10/2007 6:12 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    LOL - absolutely, everything looks great with a your ring! Wedding/engagement rings are special like that.

    I think the sexiest thing a guy can wear is a wedding ring.

    3/10/2007 3:40 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's good to hear that your ring is so versatile!
    (emily)

    3/11/2007 9:54 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home