Wednesday, March 07, 2007

  • Main Page
  • My Ring, And Other Delightful Details

    How can we know the dancer from the dance?
    -W.B. Yeats

    Thank you all for the delightful comments. You'll be pleased to know that my (affianced) Beau has read them all, too. He's a little awed by the sheer number, but happy to know that you're all rooting for his collection of handknits. More on that later. In the meantime . . . I know you want more photos.

    It is suprisingly hard to take photographs of diamonds. Yes, my life is really just that hard these days. The only nighttime photos that came out in any way were the black and white ones, but in the daylight I think we managed to capture a fraction of how gorgeous this ring is.

    My sister (and maid-of-honor-to-be) was a little concerned from the black-and-white photos that it might have been platinum. Never fear. I have a strong preference for yellow gold, and the beau has been aware of that for some time. First the details, such as I know them, about the ring:

    Apparently it is something of an overwhelming experience to shop for an engagement ring. The beau was overheard (by the mutual friend he was smart enough to take with him) to say, "Gold. Shiny. There are so many!" in somewhat frantic tones. So with a little redirection and calming, Jen (who does knit, by the way) led him down a road towards pretty rings. I have it on good authority that he chose among many final contenders and picked this one by himself. Certainly, he had no help from me except that it should be yellow gold. The setting is a cathedral setting and the side diamonds are apparently channel cut. The things you learn. Personally, I just focus on how wonderfully it catches the light in all directions. Apparently, it is even more overwhelming to propose to your girlfriend. So I'm told. But he did a wonderful job, and I was only a little bit suspicious by the constellation of events preceding. I had a hint of suspicion when Jen (yes, the same Jen) dragged me out after work on Friday to get our nails done. Saturday the beau and I were both on call. And Sunday morning, in the haze of post-call rounds, the beau changed plans. We were going out to dinner. I got a little more suspcious. Then we went to The Fishmarket, where we had our first date. It's just not a post-call kind of restaurant, if you know what I mean. I was really beginning to suspect. And then we ended up on the beach on Coronado Island. Really suspicious. And sure enough . . .

    We walked down towards the water. And the beau got down on one knee, gave me my ring, and proposed. - I don't know what to tell you that I don't tell you everyday, but I love you and want you to be my wife. Will you marry me? - Obviously, I said yes. Civil marriage in July before he goes away for flight surgery training, then the whole church wedding in April when he's back. Fortunately, my mom, my sister, and the wonderful flitgirl are ready. In the same phone call in which I told my sister that I was engaged, she informed me that she had the bridesmaids' dresses picked out. How did I feel about pink? Sure enough, there were photos in my email 12 hours later.

    And speaking of clothing, I was wearing my favorite handknit sweater when he proposed. And the now-affianced beau? Let's just say that his sock drawer is a little fuller. I had my suspicions, you know . . . Details on that tweedy goodness to follow.

    Labels:

    39 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Stunning and brilliant, just like the 2 of you. Love you,

    3/07/2007 4:58 PM  
    Blogger Kate Diamond said...

    I've said it before, I must say it again: I'm just so happy for you both! Can't wait to finally meet the Beau. Can't wait for the church wedding. Good, good times.

    3/07/2007 5:00 PM  
    Blogger judy said...

    WOW! Congratulations!! What a wonderful life.. what a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your happiness.

    3/07/2007 5:41 PM  
    Blogger margene said...

    Oh, your Dad commented! I'm sitting here with tears of joy. It's just too wonderful. OK, I am feeling sappy but....it's just too cool.

    3/07/2007 5:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a beautiful engagement story. You actually got a tear out of my stone cold heart. He certainly sounds like a keeper.

    3/07/2007 5:57 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Your ring is gorgeous - I remember when my sister got engaged that we had a devil of a time trying to take a good picture of the ring.
    The story is wonderful - I love hearing engagement stories, they never get old. Hubbo (who says congrats and "boy, that was fast") is a little bit chastened that you were also engaged on a beach (as were we - he says you're copycats), but those are really the best proposals. :) He also finds it "too funny" that beau now has socks.
    Congrats again! I'm so happy for the two of you - the girl walked in as I was reading this and said that I "looked happy" - and I am!

    3/07/2007 6:07 PM  
    Blogger Elinor said...

    That is just great news. I'm so happy for you. I wish you a lifetime of laughs together. So it sounds like you'll have a pretty busy year!!!

    Lots of life news in blogland all of a sudden - fricknits is havin a baby, you got engaged and alison of the blue blog just had a baby. all within a week or so. :-)

    3/07/2007 6:28 PM  
    Blogger Lori said...

    What a sweet story! Congratulations to you both! (Nice bauble you've got there too, I might add...)

    3/07/2007 7:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How sweet! Congrats again!

    You know what the best part of you posting a picture of your beautiful engagement ring on a knitting blog is? There are tiny little fibers clinging to your diamonds. (I can totally see them when the pictures are blown up) I love it!

    3/07/2007 7:28 PM  
    Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

    What a wonderful story! Beau clearly has good taste all around :)

    3/07/2007 8:01 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    wonderful story, wonderfully told! Congratulations! (It's neat that your Dad commented, and fitting that he was the first!)

    3/07/2007 8:35 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it. And the ring is truly stunning.

    3/08/2007 3:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love engagement stories ... Thank you for sharing yours with us!

    3/08/2007 5:09 AM  
    Blogger Leah said...

    Great story! Thanks for sharing something so personal! The ring is gorgeous! But I bet you don't get tired of hearing that!!

    3/08/2007 6:16 AM  
    Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

    A great engagement story! Congrats and blessings to you both.

    3/08/2007 6:21 AM  
    Blogger Marsha said...

    On Coronado Island - WOW - Nice touch Beau!! Sounds like you are racking up points here.....gotta be worth a good sweater at least...hehe

    3/08/2007 6:30 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Again, congrats!! I wish the both of you all the best. And I am so happy that he will finally have warm feet :-)

    3/08/2007 7:01 AM  
    Blogger knitseashore said...

    Congratulations again! Thank you for sharing your happiness with us. I think a beach proposal is the perfect thing, especially on gorgeous Coronado Island. Enjoy this time!

    3/08/2007 7:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'll have you know I am tearing up at the reading of it -- it is just so damn romantic.

    3/08/2007 7:25 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Gold. Shiny. Pretty! Again, congrats! Ah, wedding planning, military style. I love it!

    3/08/2007 8:42 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So sweet! Congratulations again- I'm so happy and excited for you!

    3/08/2007 9:36 AM  
    Blogger Nikki said...

    I have been so remiss in my blog reading - can't believe I didn't find out about this until today!

    CONGRATULATIONS! And if you're looking for wedding-planning advice (especially of the thrifty variety), I'm your woman. :)

    3/08/2007 9:58 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    What a wonderful story!

    3/08/2007 10:28 AM  
    Blogger Jocele said...

    Congrats. What a great story. Not too bad for a post call day, eh? G proposed to me on a night that I was on call (from home). Except he had this big dinner planned, and I got home at midnight. Then right after he got down on one knee and proposed, my pager went off. At any rate, congrats again. Now comes all the planning...

    3/08/2007 10:37 AM  
    Blogger christine karr said...

    MWAH - to both of you..........lovely story, and I am so glad that you are so happy!

    3/08/2007 11:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a nice story! And a really beautiful ring. I got engaged on a beach too, but my fiance said, "Hey, do you want to get married? Will you marry me?" Not quite as romantic, but he's a man of few words! It was so funny because for about 5 min before he asked he was SO quiet...I guess it IS nerve wracking to ask the question. Anyway, is your man really going to be gone from July to April? Or is there extra planning time in there too? If you want any tips, let me know! :o)

    3/08/2007 11:53 AM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    He picked a beauty of a ring! I'm also glad to see it's yellow gold, my personal favorite, but not too many people seem to choose it anymore.

    I seriously got tears in my eyes reading the proposal....ahhh, thinking back and all.

    This is gonna be fun watching it all unfold! Thanks for taking us on the ride with you!

    (hee hee, when the hubby proposed, I remember saying, "what?" because I wanted to hear him say it again. Poor guy :o)

    3/08/2007 12:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a beautiful ring! Congratulations to you and the beau!

    3/08/2007 1:13 PM  
    Blogger FairyGodKnitter said...

    Reading your story took me back to this time 16 years ago when the Mr. dropped to his knees. The rest is our own little bit of history.

    Best wishes to you and congratulations to him, may your history continue to be so delightful.

    3/08/2007 2:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Teri, Congrats. The ring is fabulous. Now you have to keep your nails in good shape or you will shame the ring. Best Wishes to the 2 of you. See you in July. Love, Aunt Carol

    3/08/2007 5:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    He did it up right! The beach on Coronado Island? And the site of your first date for dinner? Great beginnings for a long and happy marriage. Oh, I could just cry! I love to cry at weddings.

    3/08/2007 6:50 PM  
    Blogger Anneliese Kelly said...

    So true aunt carol. I didn't get a manicure for months after I got engaged and people actually noticed and commented. It was embarrassing.

    T, I need sister's e-mail address so we can talk colors.

    3/09/2007 6:33 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear T, I always said you would go off and marry a navy pilot..you got two for one! I'll be your mom's unofficial wedding consultant! Love to you and can't wait to meet the lucky man.

    3/09/2007 7:39 AM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Oh, yay! I am so happy to read about this. I am SO BEHIND on my blogreading, but it's funny. I was thinking about you and your beau yesterday and the day before. I was wondering if I would hear this fantastic news sometime soon. Cosmic wavelengths and whatnot.

    ::HUGS::

    3/09/2007 8:26 AM  
    Blogger Laura said...

    Ok, I just read your dad's comment and I think I might cry. Just had to say. :)

    3/09/2007 8:27 AM  
    Blogger Rachel said...

    Sounds like the ring and the proposal are both to be treasured. The fact that the beau couldn't think of anything new to say because he says proposal-level kindnesses every day is a damn good thing, in my opinion. Much happiness to you both.

    3/09/2007 4:56 PM  
    Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

    A beautiful ring, from another lover of yellow gold. And diamonds! He sure has good taste. I predict good gifts in your future.
    Li

    3/09/2007 6:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh congratulations, very exciting! Your man did a fab job with the ring!

    3/12/2007 9:36 PM  
    Blogger Twisted Knitter said...

    I'm SO late with my congratulations (curse you, Bloglines!) but I loved every word of the engagement story and how it began with a photo of a beautiful ring and ended with a teaser about handknit socks.

    I love how you've surrounded yourself with people who can get things done -- from the manicure to the bridesmaids' dresses! :-)

    3/27/2007 4:22 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home