Thursday, February 15, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Mending Hearts

    Like Banbury tinkers that in mending one hole make three.
    -Proverbial

    I know I was due to post yesterday, but my Valentine's Day had pretty much zero knitting content. I did knit a few rows of The Chuppah, which is for a wedding, but since that's the knitting I'm doing all the time these days, well, it's a stretch. Plus, I was too busy being charmed by the beau to worry about the blog. At any rate, I did hear a whole bunch of new - and really cheesy - "heart" jokes, courtesy of the cardiology department. They actually presented a case of a broken heart (i.e. catastrophic myocardial rupture) on Valentine's Day. Some people have a morbid sense of humor.

    The relevance? Give it a moment's thought and think of all the cheesy mending hearts jokes I'm sparing you by posting this the day after Valentine's Day. I'm doing you a favor. Really.

    These are the first pair of socks I ever started. Not the first that I finished, but that's a different story for a different day. . .

    These are the socks that made me appreciate self-striping sock yarn, and the ease and pleasure of dpns, and all that soothing stockinette stitch in the round, over and over and over on my favorite Brittany Birch dpns. And now:

    These are the next socks on my darning list.

    Labels: , ,

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    At least it's a wee hole, right? HOpe you and the beau had a happy day!

    2/16/2007 4:07 AM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    Glad you had a nice Valentine's Day. Good luck with the darning.

    2/16/2007 4:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looking forward to it. I don't enjoy it especially, but I do have my grandmother's glass darning egg. I coveted it as a child, never dreaming I would be using it someday to mend my own hand-knit socks.

    The LYS has asked me to do a one shot class on darning, so I hope to get some tips from you. Is there a spreadsheet involved?

    2/16/2007 6:29 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca said...

    That yarn looks identical to the yarn I'm using for the Gentleman's Plain Winter Sock! And, it is one of the first yarns I purchased when I first learned to knit socks!

    Maybe you should collect antique darning eggs (Ebay) and that will inspire you to darn those babies :-)

    2/16/2007 8:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not sure I want to think too much about the medical sense of humor, but I'm glad you had a nice Valentine's day. :)

    2/16/2007 8:32 AM  
    Blogger christine karr said...

    Funny cardiologists? That's a bit oxymoronic isn't it?

    Sorry about the socks, but glad to hear that you got 'charmed' on V'day!

    2/16/2007 10:44 AM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    It's so charming to hear about doctors having a sense of humor. Sorry about your sock.

    2/16/2007 10:48 AM  
    Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I went back and read your previous posts on sock darning. Great information! I haven't worn any holes in my socks yet, but I know they will come and now I know how to fix them. I have a dozen or so darning eggs. One day I'll get to use them.

    2/16/2007 2:55 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    At least it's a teensy hole. But nevertheless.

    I suppose making jokes about it is better than going off the deep end! Black humor can get you through the day.

    2/16/2007 3:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your darning workshop is in my file of knitting tips & techniques. The day will come when I'll need to use it.

    2/17/2007 3:24 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mending hearts, mending soles...it's all part of the same big picture, right?

    2/17/2007 3:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love that they presented a case of catastrophic myocardial rupture! Both timely and highly appropriate. Give my best to the beau.

    2/17/2007 5:43 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    2/18/2007 8:58 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Oops, sorry about the deleted comment. I should really wait until I've had coffee to comment, or it comes out sounding all weird.;) I'm sure your fantastic darning skills can fix these lovely socks!

    2/18/2007 9:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home