Friday, February 02, 2007

  • Main Page
  • The (Silent) Poetry Reading

    It is happiness.
    -Mary Oliver

    It's the second annual Blogger's (Silent) Poetry Reading in honor of St. Brigid's Day. My contribution is from Mary Oliver, one of my favorite poets.

    Sunrise

    You can
    die for it -
    an idea,
    or the world. People

    have done so,
    brilliantly,
    letting
    their small bodies be bound

    to the stake
    creating
    an unforgettable
    fury of light. But

    this morning,
    climbing the familiar hills
    in the familiar
    fabric of dawn, I thought

    of China,
    and India
    and Europe, and I thought
    how the sun

    blazes for everyone just
    so joyfully
    as it rises

    under the lashes
    of my own eyes, and I thought
    I am so many!
    What is my name?

    What is the name
    of the deep breaths I would take
    over and over
    for all of us? Call it

    whatever you want, it is
    happiness, it is another one
    of the ways to enter
    fire.

    Labels:

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Rebecca said...

    Love the photograph! I have enjoyed reading all the poetry around blogworld today!

    2/02/2007 6:12 PM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    MMmmmm. Mary Oliver! She has such a great way with words . . .

    2/02/2007 7:23 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Mary O. is a firm favourite in my family too!

    2/05/2007 2:06 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    The photos are just as beautiful as the poem!

    2/06/2007 8:17 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home