Saturday, January 20, 2007

  • Main Page
  • Incredible, Really

    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!
    -Mr. Incredible, The Incredibles

    It's incredible, really, how much knitting one can do when one is actually knitting. I speak, of course, of The Chuppah. The Chuppah is my post-boards relaxing knitting. You know, 'the vegging out in front of the TV because all you've done for two days is answer multiple choice questions' knitting. And it is actually getting relaxing, now that I'm doing a lot of it at once. I'm learning the pattern, finding a rhythm, . . . and calculating the time. The good news? I'm now about 16% done, which is more than I thought. The bad news? Well, it isn't bad, per se. Let's just say that I have a spreadsheet. A plan. I'm calculating the work by square feet of knitting (which should tell you something right there), and the goal is to do one repeat (44 rows, approx 6 vertical inches of 6 feet in width, i.e. three square feet) per week, which will have the middle panel done in two months (mid-March). The middle panel - incredible as it may seem being that it's 6x6 feet, is only 56% of the total knitting. Then I have a foot-wide border around the whole. Giving myself another 2 months (until mid-May) to do that, I should have it ready to give to the bride in June. And I'll have approximately 4-6 weeks of a cushion in the event that all does not go according to plan.

    Speaking of plans, I should tell you how it is that I'm making incredible progress on all the projects I'm actually working on. It's the UFO Resurrection Challenge. It's so liberating - freeing, really - to only work on one UFO a month. Instead of feeling as if I should be working on all of them, I finished my one, and now I only have 4 active projects - The Chuppah, Rowena (details to follow), the Railway Stitch Socks, and the Humbug Pillow (because one always needs a computer-sitting email-reading project). And they are all coming along nicely, while the others patiently wait until their months.

    Sometimes, though, those projects are not sufficient. I did pull out the long-neglected Uniform Socks last night to go watch The Good Shepherd. It was a nice long movie - I knit the entire 3x1 ribbing section you see below, maybe 5-6 inches. Because I wouldn't want any potential knitting time to go to waste . . .

    And speaking of quotations (weren't we?), an annonymous commenter had asked where I get the quotations that head my blog posts. (And please recall that "quote" is a verb.) Two places:
    1. My commonplace book. It's very Victorian, I realize, but I've been jotting down quotations I like since some time in high school, now spilling into their third book. Often if I'm at home, I grab one, flip through it, and find something that I think will suit my theme.
    2. More often, however, Google is my friend. I google "quotation" and "whatever-word-seems-related-to-my-theme." And sometimes I come up with something fun, like today.

    20 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Theresa that chuppah looks amazing. What a project you ambitiouis multiple choice taking knitter you. I was inspired to make a spreadsheet of my own for projects. I may not get any further than a list, but that's a start.

    1/20/2007 4:21 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    In all your planning, have you planned where you're going to block that puppy? It's looking beautiful so far. And I'm still jealous that you can read and knit at the same time!
    dswaite@mac.com

    1/20/2007 6:51 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The chuppah looks so beautiful. Great work!

    1/20/2007 8:35 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The chuppah is truly an INCREDIBLE labor of love. And here I am kvetching about trying to finish a sock.

    1/21/2007 3:32 AM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    It looks lovely - I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only dork who plans things out like that!

    1/21/2007 6:17 AM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    That IS a grand plan! And given your olympic success, I know that it will be a successful one!

    I am still amazed at what the UFO resurrection has done for my knitting well-being! I've got 4 now, too. I can't even remember the last time I had 4 WIPs!

    Congrats on finishing your boards!!

    1/21/2007 8:00 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats on being done with boards!

    1/21/2007 8:27 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A spreadsheet -- wow. But for a gift as special as that, I guess planning is a good idea!

    1/21/2007 10:06 AM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Rendered speechless by chuppah timetable...

    also, thanks for telling me what a commonplace book is. I have one but never knew other people did too. Here it is a 15th century tradition!

    1/21/2007 6:30 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW, you can knit in a movie theater. I thought that was an urban legend, beautiful chuppah.

    1/21/2007 6:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an ambitious project! Good luck.

    1/22/2007 5:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think you have a great plan for the chuppah, it sounds like quite a lot of work.

    I am envious of people who can knit and read and knit in movie theaters. I can knit while watching tv but I have to have light...

    And it's nice to know that other people have a "common place book" as well; and, I am impressed that you refer to yours so often!

    1/22/2007 9:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your branching out scarf is beautiful. I saved the pattern but have not knit it up yet. I'm still slogging through Lacy Serpentine. I think the UFO program is a great idea and it seems to be working well for you, taking the pressure off.

    Good luck on your exams, and enjoy your rest!

    1/22/2007 1:03 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, the chuppa is looking fantastic! You always seem to make such remarkable progress (good thing too, considering the size of the project!). I'm so glad you were able to rest a little after your exams and illness.

    I had also wondered where you found your quotations. Mystery solved!

    1/23/2007 7:56 AM  
    Blogger Toasty Joe said...

    I assume that's our chuppah. Looking good!

    1/23/2007 9:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The chuupah looks fabulous.

    That quote is great, btw. You could knit during The Good Shepherd? I might see it then in the theater. I tried through The Fountain but it was just too dark.

    1/23/2007 7:22 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The chuppah is looking great! I think lace is wonderful relaxing-in-front-of-the-TV knitting. Good job with the plan; it's always nice to see where you're going, and how you'll get there. Smart to include cushion time too.

    1/24/2007 4:09 AM  
    Blogger Twisted Knitter said...

    Totally off this blog entry's subject, but thank you for clarifying that "quote" is a verb. I am SO guilty of using it as a noun. But I won't do it any more.

    1/24/2007 2:05 PM  
    Blogger DrMom said...

    When your chuppah is done I would love to feature it on my blog... http://www.judaicajournal.blogspot.com
    In fact I would love to see all knitted Judaica. Please send it my way.

    2/23/2007 5:59 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where can I find the insrtuctions for knitting a Chuppa?

    9/15/2008 2:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home