Monday, January 01, 2007

  • Main Page
  • How Did I Do?

    Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.
    -Karen Kaiser Clark

    So, how did we (the royal we) do with our big knitting plans for 2006?

    Recall: Six (Knitting) Resolutions for 2006:
    1. Update The Early Works: Success! I made this hat and matching mittens for the incomparable Kate D.
    2. Successful fairisle on dpns: Success! The hat and mittens above, plus these Christmas ornaments.
    3. The Crossed in Translation KAL: Success Success Success! Who doesn't remember the Knitting Olympics?
    4. TKGA Master Knitting Level 2. Not even started.
    5. Christmas stockings for the family: Well, I did make these. Handmade, but not handknit.
    6. Transition to Southern California: learn to love knitting in cotton. Learn to love that shells and tanks don't have sleeves. Working on it. I did make this lovely shell, and I'm working on a denim sweater. But I still want to make warm woolly sweaters. Maybe I'll start making DK weight sweaters? It is chilly here at night.
    Overall? Not bad at all. Note to self: It would be easier to keep on track of resolutions if one actually remembers what they are. I guess they were pretty intuitive, given how much of them I was able to accomplish given the fact that I forgot I had made them. In spite of that, here's the round-up of

    The 66 knitted objects of 2006 (The Year of the Ornament):
    • 14 Christmas ornaments
    • 12 pairs of socks
    • 9 baby hats
    • 7 facecloths
    • 4 adult hats
    • 3 adult sweaters
    • 3 dishcloths
    • 3 felted balls
    • 3 scarves
    • 2 pairs of mittens
    • 2 lace shawls
    • 1 small bag
    • 1 baby sweater
    • 1 adult tank top
    • 1 pair of fingerless mitts
    And, very importantly, all six projects that were on the needles on January 1, 2006 are now off. I finished five of them, and ripped one. So let this serve as fair warning to the, gasp!, 11 projects currently on the needles. There are 364 days left or you are done for! Because, really . . . if I don't finish it within 1 year, then I'm really not that interested, am I? (The possible exception to this would be Lizard Ridge. I am still actively on the lookout for Cotton Kureyon - anyone else have some hidden away?)

    Plans for 2007, heavily featuring this chuppah, coming soon. Think that'll keep me busy? Looking forward to The Year of the Chuppah.

    17 Comments:

    Blogger Rosemary said...

    Gah!! The Chuppah is looking gorgeous! I look forward to following its progress :D

    1/01/2007 6:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I feel so inadequate! Does that mean that I have to rip my Crossed in Translation now or January '08?

    You've worked quite a bit on the Chuppah! Gorgeous!

    1/01/2007 7:21 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh my goodness, lovely Chuppah progress!

    1/01/2007 8:09 PM  
    Blogger Abigail said...

    What an excellent accomplishment! And the Chuppah is going to be fantastic.

    It makes my 38 pairs of socks pale in comparison.

    I must learn to knit faster, just like you.

    Happy New Year:D

    1/01/2007 9:06 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    That's quite a bit of knits for someone who actually works for a living! :) When do you sleep?

    1/01/2007 9:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am all agog - at how many resolutions you've fulfilled, at your 66 FOs, and at the chuppah progress.

    1/02/2007 3:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    great wrap up. you had a very successful year and you didn't even mention that you fit in moving from one coast to the other in the middle of it.

    you're right about those multi-year UFOs. i have some rippin i need to do this weekend.

    have a great 2007!

    1/02/2007 3:50 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Chuppah is going to be an unbelievably wonderful, beautiful wedding gift - and you are going to finish it by July??? Will you be knitting anything else?

    1/02/2007 6:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would say you did DAMN well!! 66 FOs is great. And you're absolutely right about the "better be done or off the needles you go" thing.

    I love that Chuppah!! How big is that gonna be?

    1/02/2007 7:24 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW. You are amazing, lady!!! AND you moved 543879578943 times, worked 5734789 hours a week, did lots of traveling, etc. Amazing. I want to watch you knit. You must knit faster than all the rest of us.

    1/02/2007 8:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm going to be watching your chuppah progress with great interest. I'm casting on today - after a couple of months of procrastination - to knit a tallit (a Jewish prayer shawl) for a cousin's bat mitzvah in May, and I happen to be using the same yarn in the same color and the same lace motif. What are the chances, right?

    1/02/2007 9:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aww, the Knitting Olympics. Definitely the knitting highlight of 2006 for me.

    So you have just one resolution for 2007? Make the chuppah? Not that that's not plenty of resolution -- that's a damn big project -- but I was just curious if there would be others.

    By the way, I knit 2/3 as many socks as you. And I only started the first pair in March. Not an hour ago I poked fun at you on my blog for knitting socks like crazy, but I see that perhaps I am closer to being just like you than I thought. :)

    Congrats on a productive 2006!

    1/02/2007 11:30 AM  
    Blogger amy said...

    i had some cotton kureyon, but it broke too many times while i was knitting with it so i got rid of the stuff. i'm not sure if it was just me or the yarn but it was really horrible. and i'll knit with anything ;) have you checked ebay? just a thought.

    1/02/2007 12:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, you have knit an amazing amount of stuff. I aspire to your example.

    1/02/2007 3:08 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am in awe at your 2006 knitting, especially with your moves and your hours at the hospital. Wow!!

    Just wondering about today's quote -- I know someone with that exact name and was wondering if it's a friend of yours? The person I know lives in NC.

    1/03/2007 11:18 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Your list of FOs is impressive, but especially so when you consider all the moving and insane work schedule!

    The chuppah is looking beautiful!

    1/03/2007 11:21 AM  
    Blogger Sarah said...

    Hi! Can I tag you for the six weird things about yourself? You can find details on my blog, lacerox.blogspot.com! The things you ahve knitted are sooooo pretty!

    Sarah

    1/03/2007 1:52 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home