Thursday, December 28, 2006

  • Main Page
  • A Very Knitty Holiday . . . Continued

    Every day is a holiday;
    Every meal is a feast.
    -Tim Lebling

    If you are lucky, this will be the last of the Christmas posts. No guarantees, but I think I'm nearing the end. In addition to the knitted gifts given, there were a number of knitty gifts received. It's like people think I like to knit, or something! Wonder where they got that idea . . .

    The flitgirl
    sent me Jordana Paige's Knitter's Satchel. This is one classy knitting bag. As she noted, it looks like an old-fashioned doctor's bag, and sure is a big step up from the backpack I usually carry. It's nice-looking enough to take anywhere, and look how huge the inside is! On Christmas I was carrying a whole bag of cookies, a scarf in progress, and all the wallet, keys, pagers, etc. that a girl needs, and there was still plenty of room. Do you see the nice knitterly features inside? The loop to hold your yarn and keep it from rolling all over the floor? The loops to hold spare needles? The detachable notions case? Plus, the bottom has little metal feet on it, perfect for putting next to your chair at the coffee shop.

    In case I really do need to carry around more than will fit there, my sister and brother sent me this great LL Bean tote. Can you believe I lived in New England for 8 years without one?
    Peaking out of the tote is a gift from my uncle and his lovely lady. She happens to be a librarian, so she's able to put those nice covers on the dust jackets. You know the kind. It'll keep this book in much better shape than most of the other books that get thrown in the aforementioned knitting bags . . . The book is Knit 2 Together, and it has some fabulous patterns. I must say that I'm pretty impressed two muggle non-knitting relatives were able to get a knitting book that I a) wanted and b) didn't already have. Have you seen the Rowena cardigan? I think I may have finally found a sweater my sister would love.

    And, in the "I love handmade gifts" category, my grandmom sent me these towels for the kitchen. How cute are they? Just in time for me to be taking down the excessive many festive Christmas dish towels!

    To prove that I am actually doing some knitting, here's a scarf I've been working on this week: It's a simple Feather and Fan variation (free pattern here) in the New Zealand mohair that Meg sent me as some contest winnings back in August. A dear friend of mine suffered a loss this Christmas, and I was wanting to send her a tangible hug, something since I couldn't be there in person. Just as soon as the thought entered my head, I saw this yarn sitting on top of my basket of "nice" yarn. (Reason 462 to keep your yarn where you can see it.) It's soft, warm, and, while the colors are darker than I would usually wear, especially in San Diego, they are exactly perfect for this friend. Interspersed among the black, purple, and dark green are these stitches of a bright red and blue. Just a little hope in the darkness, I think. Sometimes these things just work out, from a knitting perspective.

    15 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for dropping by my blog! Weavers did not say much about the knitted sweater in a weavers party :)

    12/28/2006 12:10 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    What a great knitter haul! I have one of those totes for my knitting and even as other bags have come and gone my tote is still the one I go back to...if I could just figure out how to keep the handles clean...

    I'm sure your friend will love her gift and especially the thoughtfulness behind it.

    12/28/2006 12:59 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW - that is a classy knitting bag....I look like a bag lady hauling my knitting around! Maybe someday I will splurge!
    Your mohair scarf is beautiful and I'm sure it will brighten your friend's day. (and keep her warm)

    12/28/2006 1:03 PM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    LOVE the knitting bag. And how appropriate that a doctor is carrying a knitting bag that looks like a dr's bag.

    12/28/2006 1:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am so so jealous. For some reason in the past couple days I have developed an acute need for a new knitting bag, and the one that keeps popping into my head is that very one. Want want want.

    Sounds like you got a nice knitty haul this year! My family is always saying, "We can get you some knitting stuff, but it seems like we always get you knitting stuf...." I guess I just don't see the problem they see.

    12/28/2006 1:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sounds like you had a great Christmas!

    12/28/2006 1:44 PM  
    Blogger Lynda said...

    Oooh, I LOVE your bag.... I came THIIIIIIS close to buying myself one this weekend, but ended up talking myself out of it. Fool I am... :o)

    12/28/2006 2:14 PM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    I'm making that same scarf! I really like the way it's turning out and yours looks beautiful too!

    12/28/2006 6:20 PM  
    Blogger --Deb said...

    Great bag! I do love me a satchel.

    And please, don't forget to add the Knitting Martha's Vineyard Lovers webring to your page--I'd love to activate you!

    12/28/2006 7:39 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Great goodies!

    12/28/2006 8:38 PM  
    Blogger Meg said...

    Theresa, I can't even begin to say how deeply honoured I am that you are using the mohair for a tangible hug for your friend.

    12/28/2006 10:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are so spoiled....I crave one of those bags.

    12/29/2006 8:43 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    that bag is beautiful - and it seems much more classic than a "typical" doctor bag. My nonknitting brother didn't do half as well with the knitting book gifts, and now I have a book on how to knit garments for small dogs...they have a lot to learn, I suppose.

    I love the idea of sending a knitted "hug" when distance keeps you away from a friend, and might borrow the idea for the future.

    I don't remember if you ever sent me your new address...is it possible to get it from you?

    12/29/2006 6:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas, despite being so far from home. Your scarf is beautiful...I love what you said about a little light in the darkness. I know that the recipient will love it.

    Happy New Year!

    12/31/2006 7:18 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    ooh, what great bags!

    1/03/2007 8:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home