Thursday, December 14, 2006

  • Main Page
  • Back to Christmas Decorating

    What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly:
    it is dearness only that gives everything it's value.

    -Thomas Paine


    And now, a return to our regularly scheduled Christmas decorating programming. My mom expressed concern that after all that work decorating the beau's apartment I wouldn't want to decorate my own. For the benefit of my mom (and dad, and grandmothers, and aunts, and any other relatives reading my blog), I thought I'd share some of my favorite touches.

    On the right are several of my favorites (as well as proof that I'm being good and not opening until Christmas!) - see the cute snowman? A gift from my mom. See the Santa? A gift from my late grandfather. It used to walk across the floor singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" but now it just makes a funny noise. I am, however, rather sentimentally attached. I think I've had it since I was about 5 years old. And not related to Christmas, but potentially of interest to the knitters - see those cranberry crates? They hold yarn. I love it.

    I'd like to highlight in particular the handmade decorations:My grandmother made these angels for me. I think they're technically Christmas decorations, but I keep them up all year. Another fun knitting fact - my grandmom is a wonderful seamstress and knitter but she hadn't been doing much knitting for a number of years . . . until she started reading my blog (Hi, Grandmom!). It was the Mason-Dixon Ballband Dishcloths that did her in. And last I saw, she was making a whole bunch.

    And if you needed proof that I really did decorate my entire apartment . . . don't forget the bathroom! This snowman was a gift from my uncle a couple of years ago. With a family like mine, isn't it any wonder that I'm so into Christmas?

    Have you guessed that I haven't been knitting much lately? I do have a couple of last-minute secret gifts on the needles, but even with the approaching deadlines I don't think I've knit a stitch in 3 days. Why is that you might ask? Well, aside from the obvious being on call . . . I've been too busy celebrating. Turns out they're going to keep me in San Diego for at least another two years to finish my Internal Medicine training . . . definitely good news.

    16 Comments:

    Blogger Meg said...

    I love your decorations - uncluttered and meaningful to you.

    12/14/2006 7:49 PM  
    Blogger Jenn said...

    Congrats! That is great news. Love the bathroom snowman.

    12/14/2006 7:54 PM  
    Blogger Jenny Raye said...

    I trust the Beau is also staying put for a while? Congrats!

    12/14/2006 8:35 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're so lucky to stay in SD, although I'm sure you miss your family too. Your apartment looks so nice and airy and the decorations make it warm and personal. Good to have family decorations around!

    12/14/2006 8:41 PM  
    Blogger Carole Knits said...

    It must feel great to know you can settle in for 2 more years. How about the beau?

    12/15/2006 3:40 AM  
    Blogger Marina said...

    Hey, that's great and the Christmas decorations are lovely!

    12/15/2006 5:26 AM  
    Blogger Liz said...

    Congratulations! Does this mean the beau is also staying in San Diego?

    12/15/2006 7:27 AM  
    Blogger knitzalot said...

    I'm glad you're staying in San Diego! Congrats. Your apartment is so clean. Everything looks great.

    12/15/2006 11:56 AM  
    Blogger jennie said...

    Congrats on permanence! And your christmas decorations are beautiful... you inspired me to do a little decorating of my own -- I put lights on my front porch and bought a little tree to decorate. I feel much more festive now!

    12/15/2006 12:13 PM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Congratulations on staying in San Diego! I'm happy for you and for myself, because now you'll be close for a little while longer. (I figure I'm allowed to be a little selfish in this case, since it works out for both of us) :)

    12/15/2006 3:15 PM  
    Blogger Disentangled said...

    Yay!! Glad you will be here another 2 years! Hope to see you tomorrow :-)

    12/15/2006 6:36 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the angels - sooo cute! And congrats on your schooling

    12/15/2006 8:48 PM  
    Blogger Elizabeth said...

    San Diego for two more years! That sounds like fun, especially as you termed it good news.

    Inquiring minds want to know how much wool is in your stash right now?

    12/16/2006 6:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful pictures. I have a crush on the snowman by the sink.

    12/17/2006 6:59 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    that snowman is so cute!!

    12/17/2006 10:42 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I used to walk around singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" too, but this year I just make kind of funny noises when anyone talks to me about the holidays. Your snowman and I have a thing going on, apparently.

    Congratulations on the news about your future! I hope all news about who will be where and when is similarly good.

    12/17/2006 4:22 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home